no glue abs connection

Users who are viewing this thread

nilesh1540

Reaction score
i had a handyman do some repair work on my house tub and I did not see him use any abs glue on the new fittings. he indicated to me that the system is not under pressure and that the fittings snugly fit into each other. i am not a plumber and i didn't know who would know this. any help. please.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Your fourth word, "handyman", tells the story. It MAY not leak because it is under minimal pressure, but it can also fall off if something displaces it. One of Murphy's Laws says that if a homeowner or handyman takes a shortcut it will not leak immediately, but if a professional plumber tried to do the same thing, it would start leaking before he could get his head out of the cabinet.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
What type of fittings are they. If they are glue fittings they will leek. If they are slip nut and gasket fittings you will be ok. Taking a pic of the area in question will help.

nilesh1540

Reaction score
thanks hj.

they are abs 1.5 inch piping.

the strainer (where the water goes down the drain) is called the waste and the the other part is called the overflow. that's why its called waste and overflow kit.

the waste is connected to a piece of pipe about 8-10- inches where it connects into a slightly turned T Union going down.

the part from the overflow also connects into this T and that water would go straight down.

because it is not under pressure it is probably not going to leak but my concern is that some drops of water may come out when it is being used. and if that happens is that a big concern. i'm thinking that those drops are eventually gonna dry out also.

i'm not sure.

the last thing i wanna do is tear everything back out.

is there anything like something you can pour down the drain so that anything where it can leak would get sealed with clogging the drains.

let me know what you know thanks.

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
No offense, If it was standard glue abs fittings not slip joints then that handyman needs a good pipe over the head. tell that hanyman hack that he needs to leave the plumbing to plumbers. I know that not all handymen are that stupid but if that was glue type fittings and he didn'y glue them then he is a complete moron.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Plumber Jim. ABS, PVC, or copper joints have to be properly connected. Plastic is solvent welded, copper is soldered. Granted that a drain line is not subjected to high pressure, but if the joints are not sealed, they will leak and they can come apart. The water may not spray all over as they would in a pressurized situation, but a little leak is like a little PG except it won't go away in 9 months.:D A beginner might think that as tight as plastic fittings and pipe go together dry, they would not leak, but that just isn't true. It's guys like your handyman that make code inspectors really necessary.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If this is what he installed it would go in without being glued.
I would not install this type but a handyman I'm sure would!

3934333.jpg

Anything after the part pictured above should be glued.

The waste and overflow pictured below is what I would use.

Gerber-41-818-Bath-Drain.gif

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I did not see him use any abs glue ...
he indicated to me that the system is not under pressure and that the fittings snugly fit into each other.

No offense, If it was standard glue abs fittings not slip joints then that handyman needs a good pipe over the head. tell that hanyman hack that he needs to leave the plumbing to plumbers. I know that not all handymen are that stupid but if that was glue type fittings and he didn'y glue them then he is a complete moron.

Moron (Merriam-Webster Online)
1 (usually offensive): a mildly mentally retarded person
2: a very stupid person

The handyman in question is neither stupid nor moronic. Such a person would be incapable of even considering the matter of possible leaking, and a pipe (either a good one or a bad one) over the head would not resolve that kind of problem.

Slip-joint assemblies do not need glue (cement) to prevent leaking, but other parts almost always do.

Because of the tight fit and the actual orientation of the parts, I have a toilet flange glued (cemented) to a piece of pipe that is merely slipped into a coupling cast into a concrete floor. Unless my entire septic system backs up to ground level, there is no possibility for leaking. But if I ever need to replace that flange, the job will be a very simple one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Because of the tight fit and the actual orientation of the parts, I have a toilet flange glued (cemented) to a piece of pipe that is merely slipped into a coupling cast into a concrete floor.

That may also qualify as a handyman fix. If done correctly and the right part used it should not need to be removed some time in the future.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
That may also qualify as a handyman fix.

It was not a fix at all. It was a new installation in the new floor of my new workshop.

If done correctly and the right part used it should not need to be removed some time in the future.

The job was done correctly, the right parts were used and there was simply no need to glue the bottom end of the vertical pipe going into the hub below ... and now a repair will be easy if anybody ever breaks the plastic flange.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats just it! A plastic flange is not the right part!
A plastic flange with a stainless steel ring would have been the right part!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Thats just it! A plastic flange is not the right part!

Okay, if you insist. I have never liked plastic flanges anyway ... but neither have I ever seen a flange with a stainless ring ... so at least that leaves some of us DIYers and handymen just a bit ignorant rather than actually stupid or moronic, eh?!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay, if you insist. I have never liked plastic flanges anyway ... but neither have I ever seen a flange with a stainless ring ... so at least that leaves some of us DIYers and handymen just a bit ignorant rather than actually stupid or moronic, eh?!

Lowes has them!
http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/716/Closet+Flanges+with+Stainless+Steel+Rings.html
http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/717/Easy+Tap+TM+Closet+Flange.html

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

The job was done correctly, the right parts were used and there was simply no need to glue the bottom end of the vertical pipe going into the hub below ... and now a repair will be easy if anybody ever breaks the plastic

Using that logic, there would never be any reason to glue the top joints of ANY fittings because the water would never create any pressure on them. In this area, YOUR joint WOULD have to have been in place during the water pressure test, and it WOULD have leaked and WOULD have been rejected. Anyone who uses a plastic flange is setting themselves up for a future repair, but that is not justification for making an improper connection, and if it was not cemented it was NOT done correctly, and it was a handyman job.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Using that logic, there would never be any reason to glue the top joints of ANY fittings ...

That might seem like a logical conclusion in your mind, but not in mine. The fitting in question here is in the ground and outside the foundation of the house. Even though I know it cannot possibly ever leak a drop unless my entire septic system backs up to ground level, I would never have left that joint dry anywhere else.

Anyone who uses a plastic flange is setting themselves up for a future repair ...

There are some related things to consider here. The toilet that sits on that flange has a porcelain bowl on a plastic base, and now the plastic flange is the easy-to-repair "weak link" in that particular installation. If something gets broken, the flange will be first and the toilet will thus be protected.

... if it was not cemented it was NOT done correctly, and it was a handyman job.

Fortunately, and especially since I have no license to lose, I can employ a little practicality and even a bit of figure-it-out common sense at will!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Oh, yeah

1. If it is installed properly the toilet does not contact the flange so it will not break it.
2. With the right flange there is no reason to EVER have to redo it.
3. If the connection is "outside" the foundation, then that must mean the toilet is outside the building.
4. Every handyman who ever picked up a tool feels that his "shortcuts" are really practical solutions. And most of them do not have licenses that they can lose either.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
1. If it is installed properly the toilet does not contact the flange so it will not break it.

If a toilet gets bumped hard or pushed over or whatever, it would not have to be in contact with the flange in order for the bolts to break either the flange or the base of the toilet ... and I would rather have the flange break than the toilet.

2. With the right flange there is no reason to EVER have to redo it.

Sure ... but in this case, a steel flange could not help to protect the toilet from situational damage.

3. If the connection is "outside" the foundation, then that must mean the toilet is outside the building.

The toilet is in my new workshop that is outside the foundation of the house.

4. Every handyman who ever picked up a tool feels that his "shortcuts" are really practical solutions. And most of them do not have licenses that they can lose either.

You bet!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lee, Its a hack job plain and simple and there is nothing that can justify it!

So why not just call it a day?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks