No drain near softener - looking for idaes

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Do they make converters for PE so it would fit over the 1/2" stem on the Softener?

Not that I am aware of but you can buy a fitting that is 3/4" IPS male to 3/4 barb and use it in place of the 3/4" IPS by 1/2 barb that comes with the softener.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks. Do they make converters for PE so it would fit over the 1/2" stem on the Softener?
There is no 1/2" stem on a Clack control valve.

If you use regular and industry standard 5/8" OD PE (commonly but mistakenly called 1/2") drain line, you must buy the insert/barbed fitting it requires or the proper fitting has to come with the softener as an 'extra'. I would not use 3/4" PE or PEX unless you can run it without seriously bending it.

BTW, the link to affordablewater... they are not selling the CS version and there are errors in their installation instructions. And their K of capacity and salt dose chart is going to have you setting the highest capacity and the most inefficient (lowest) salt dose setting.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I can't believe a simple question like this has generated 6 pages of replies. As long as the drain elevation is not so high as to interfere with the brine injector's aspirator, and I have piped the disharge up onto the roof and over to a plumbing vent line, it will work.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I can't believe a simple question like this has generated 6 pages of replies. As long as the drain elevation is not so high as to interfere with the brine injector's aspirator, and I have piped the disharge up onto the roof and over to a plumbing vent line, it will work.
HJ, no resin or control valve manufacturer would support doing that unless you changed the injector, injector throat in some control valves AND the DLFC (drain line flow control) AND the ID of the drain line.

That is the basis of 6 pages of discussion, we can't agree on the maximum height or the minimum ID for the drain line the OP should use so his softener will remove all the hardness now and into the distant future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks