No current dishwasher/disposal - want to install

Users who are viewing this thread

price914

Reaction score
We'd like to install an 18" GE Spacesaver and a disposal in our tiny new kitchen which currently has neither. I have not the first clue how to do this. It would go to the left of the sink, which means we'd have to cut out a third of the cabinet that's there. I assume we then have to build a new cabinet wall, maybe 2, if we have to go in a bit under the sink too? We'd also have to add an outlet for it - does this go under the sink? And what plumbing modifications would have to be made? There is currently a single sink, with faucet and sprayer. Does anything need to be done to the countertop? Those and the sink are new Corian. Is this project even feasible? Any tips appreciated!

Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You normally need a 2' opening under the countertop, floor to counter. The DW is usually attached to the top, but some brackets can be modified to allow them to screw to the sides. Depending on where you live, the thing can either be hardwired (ideally to a dedicated circuit) or a cord can be installed and it can be plugged into an outlet (best to be dedicated). Water only requires hot, and a T connector with a separate shutoff shouldn't be too tough, but you'd have to see. An alternative is sometimes you can replace the current hot shutoff at the wall with a dual outlet one and feed the DW from that. You can use either soft copper to make the connection. Also, depending on where you live, you may want to or have to install an air gap for the drain of the DW into the countertop. Now, while it may not be required, this is the safest way. The alternative is (and there are millions that do it this way) is to just loop the drain hose from the DW up to the underside of the counter, and then to the disposer's DW inlet. If you do install a disposer, it too should have a separate power and is typically installed in a switched outlet. Make sure to knock out the plug and remove from the disposal on the DW tailpiece.

If your cabinets won't allow you to remove a 2' section, it would be really tough, and yes, unless your sink base has a wall, you'd need one there to block off the DW and to provide vertical support for the counter.

Note, the DW doesn't have to be right next to the sink...mine is a small U-shaped kitchen, and it is across from the sink and works fine for me. Running the drain and water was a little more challenging, but not horrible.

price914

Reaction score
We live in Seattle - not sure what the code is here. We do have the floor to counter clearance, as well as the proper depth for the 18" model, so I guess it's a matter of figuring out what cutting into the cabinet will do to the countertop. I'd assume once we installed a new sidewall, it would be ok, but again, I have NO idea what I'm talking about. :) So perhaps I will try to locate a professional here who could tell me what the best plan would be for the cutout. Thanks for the reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A standard countertop is about 25" deep, the cabinets themselve about 24" and the countertop extends a little over them with the drawer front or door adding to the base cabinet. Cutting out a cabinet, unless it is a whole one, could be dicey. The door and or drawers are supported by the case and getting a new piece in there to support them might be a pain. Anything is possible if you want to play with it enough in remodeling (and the longer it takes, the more it costs). If you can go 24", your choice of DW increases radically. I suppose a compact model might work...I've never looked for one that size.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The plumbing to install a DW next to a sink is pretty straight forward. The cabinet work is harder to make look good, unless your a cabinetmaker!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks