No Cold Water

Users who are viewing this thread

BK Cooker

Reaction score
I have what I think is a cold water issue in a full bath. The water in the sink and the bathtub is coming out scalding hot. There does not seem to be any cold water. I also have sink in another bathroom that is a double vanity that isn't getting any cold water but the other sink does?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check to see if there are any shower head shutoffs installed.
Sometimes people install those, and leave the shower valve in the open position. This creates a crossover.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was there any plumbing work done since the water temperatures worked properly?

BK Cooker

Reaction score
Thanks. There is not one. Also I was going off the report which I have now discovered wasn't completely accurate. The water is reportedly coming out of both scalding hot.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is successfully getting cold water? -- the toilet tanks, kitchen sink?

BK Cooker

Reaction score
The toilet, and every other sink except the one I mentioned. So washing machine, 5 other sinks and 3 toilets are getting cold water as far as I know. I went around and checked them all. I'll do it again shortly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Next thing I would try is to turn off the water to the water heater. Then see what comes out of the problem faucets when you select all hot and all cold.

BK Cooker

Reaction score
Next thing I would try is to turn off the water to the water heater. Then see what comes out of the problem faucets when you select all hot and all cold.[/QUOTE
I let the water run first. The cold water came out hot initially (for like 10-15 seconds, really hot) then turned lukewarm and stayed that way. I'll turn the water to the water heater off later, unfortunately I'm headed out of town for work.

BK Cooker

Reaction score
Sorry but having just read my post I realized that I left out a keyword. The cold water is coming out steaming hot. The cold water supply is cool to the touch in the offending sink. Problem could be somewhere in the shower valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
There could be a crossover between hot and cold, but then you would expect the hot output to be a mix of cold and hot. It would seem to take a blockage of the cold supply and a crossover to get really hot water coming out of the cold and the hot both.

So stopping hot and then seeing what comes out of he problem faucets will be interesting. If, for example if NO water came out, that would be informative and would confirm a blockage.

BK Cooker

Reaction score
Ok so I turned of the hot at the supply line under the sink. When I move the faucet (single handle Moen or Delta) to the hot no water came out. When I moved it to the cold side, initially very hot water came out (for 5 seconds) and then warm water for the duration. I let it run for a little more than 5 minutes. The shower is similar but not the same. Since it is single handle also I can not shut off the hot water supply to the shower as easily.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so I turned of the hot at the supply line under the sink. When I move the faucet (single handle Moen or Delta) to the hot no water came out. When I moved it to the cold side, initially very hot water came out (for 5 seconds) and then warm water for the duration. I let it run for a little more than 5 minutes.
It seems to me that while in that mode, you could go around and feel the cold water pipes at various valves and faucets. The one with the hottest cold pipe would be where the crossover is occurring.

I am not a pro. Just trying to think it through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks