no cold water after a repair...

Users who are viewing this thread

azkyle

Reaction score
I had to patch a piece of pipe today (outside) which I think was the main line into the house, it was 3/4". Everything works fine after I replaced the pipe except that the kitchen sink cold water has very low pressure, and so do the toilets... they take about 10 minutes to fill the tank. The washing machine fills fine, and the rest of the sinks in the house have normal pressure, including the kitchen sink hot water. I really don't have a clue to where to begin looking for a solution. I live in arizona and dont have a basement, so I would rather not dig to uncover all the lines if I dont have to... thats not fun. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would take apart the cold stem and the toilet fill valve and look for debris which may have gotten into the system during your repair. Those steps are easy. The next step for each would be to turn off the main and disassemble the stop valve for each. Debris may have lodged there.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
remove the sink aerator - there is probably junk in it...
The toilet fill valves may have the same as said earlier...
If there is nothing in the aerator, check the angle stop under the sink...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. What does "patch" a piece of pipe mean? Are we talking soldering or gluing? Copper or PVC?

2. The aerator wouldn't discriminate between hot and cold water. If it's plugged, the hot would be low as well.

3. Shut off the water to your toilets and disconnect the toilet supply lines where they connect to the fill valves. Crack open the water and squirt it into your tub or a bucket. If the water pressure is good then there's probably debris inside your fill valve. Sometimes you can remove this debris and sometimes you have to replace the fill valves.

4.If the water pressure is low coming out of the supply lines, then you'll have to flush out your shutoff valves and possibly take them apart.

5.Do as Jimbo suggested for the faucet: Turn off the water and remove the cold stem. Check for debris and flush out the line.

Last edited:

azkyle

Reaction score
thanks for the tips first of all, I would have never thought about debris clogging things up, and now i'm 99.9% sure thats what it is.

soder and copper. I dont know how but there was a dime sized hole about 4" below the ground level.

Verdeboy said:
1. What does "patch" a piece of pipe mean? Are we talking soldering or gluing? Copper or PVC?...

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
Anytime the main supply is shut off and then turned back on, it will stir up sediment and debris, which will get caught is small passageways.

Tip: After turning on the main, flush the cold water lines by running all hose bibbs, and then run the bathtub.

Good luck

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
2. The aerator wouldn't discriminate between hot and cold water. If it's plugged, the hot would be low as well.

OOPS - my bad - did not read carefully enough...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks