No air flow from vent!

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by abe7900, Oct 26, 2007.

1. abe7900

abe7900 New Member

I have a vent in the upstairs bathroom that has little air flow. It gets so cold in the winter, the water pipes freeze not allowing any water flow. I believe its just a very long run with several turns. I've heard of installing a vent fan to increase the airflow to that bathroom but not sure how to go about installing it. Please advise. Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In-line duct fans are available at both the big box stores and (probably better quality ones) at HVAC supply stores. First, though, you may have ducts that are disconnected, or a damper is closed. I know I had a problem with one of mine, and after investigation, found that the flexible duct to it had actually disconnected from the supply duct...it was blowing into the attic. Often when the things were put in, they also weren't sealed very well, so if you have access to any of the runs, check for leaks. Do not use duct tape for this, it will dry out and leak. They make metalized tape. It has a release paper on the back, and is what is designed to seal seams on ducts.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

You can always get a little ceramic heater if all else fails.