NightTime Visitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
How would you like to step on this guy with your bare feet in the middle of the night? Luckily I saw him come in the door when I was airing out my apartment.

He's a 5 inch long arachnid that looks exactly like a scorpion. He's called a Giant Vinegaroon because he defends himself by squirting acetic acid. By the time I caught him, my whole apartment smelled like vinegar.

Attachments

• Vinegaroon.jpg
    Vinegaroon.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

CHH

Reaction score
Sheesh! What part of the country do you find those beasties? Nothing around here but the common browns...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You find them in SW Texas and SW NM. They're actually quite docile and make good pets--or so I'm I'm told.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
In Florida I've seen some pretty big ugly bugs. Suprised me that when we went to Tenessee for a vacation they had f'n HUGE scorpions.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yeah, same here. I've never seen one of those. But we do have the Brown Recluse which I hope I can stay away from.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
speedbump said:
Yeah, same here. I've never seen one of those. But we do have the Brown Recluse which I hope I can stay away from.

One day when I was younger I was weeding my neighbor's flowerbed. I had just seen a brown recluse scurry under a peice of wood and was watching out for a black widow that was nested nearby when I got stung by a wood scorpion. Though the least dangerous of the 3, the bite sucked. I could feel the venom running up my arm - that was scary.

CHH

Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
One day when I was younger I was weeding my neighbor's flowerbed. I had just seen a brown recluse scurry under a peice of wood and was watching out for a black widow that was nested nearby when I got stung by a wood scorpion. Though the least dangerous of the 3, the bite sucked. I could feel the venom running up my arm - that was scary.

Are you suggesting that arachnids conduct coordinated inter-species attacks on humans? Is it time for a holy war against the arachnid terrorists?:D

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The closest I have been to a Scorpion was carrying in fire wood. It was cold enough that day to put him into hybernation. I was setting the last log on the mantle when something fell off the log into my hand. I looked down and I was holding one that was starting to wake up. He went into the fire in a hurry.

Black Widow's are everywhere around here, but I'll take one of them any day over the Recluse.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
CHH said:
Are you suggesting that arachnids conduct coordinated attacks on humans? Is it time for a holy war against the arachnid terrorists?:D

They must've recognized the weakness in a well-intentioned 13 year old. :D
No weakness now, I just squash them on site!

speedbump said:
Black Widow's are everywhere around here, but I'll take one of them any day over the Recluse.

We seem to have a load of brown widows around here, along with the black ones. The only scorpions I've seen down here are pretty small, usually smaller than a quarter. The one's up in TN were like 6" long! :eek:

Molo

Reaction score
The benefits of living in 9 cold, dark, dismal, and dreary months..... very few small predators survive, so you'll live to see another 9 cold, dark, dismal, and dreary months.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks