NightTime Visitor

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by Verdeboy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

How would you like to step on this guy with your bare feet in the middle of the night? Luckily I saw him come in the door when I was airing out my apartment.

He's a 5 inch long arachnid that looks exactly like a scorpion. He's called a Giant Vinegaroon because he defends himself by squirting acetic acid. By the time I caught him, my whole apartment smelled like vinegar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. CHH

CHH New Member

Sheesh! What part of the country do you find those beasties? Nothing around here but the common browns...
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

You find them in SW Texas and SW NM. They're actually quite docile and make good pets--or so I'm I'm told.
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

In Florida I've seen some pretty big ugly bugs. Suprised me that when we went to Tenessee for a vacation they had f'n HUGE scorpions.
  5. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Yeah, same here. I've never seen one of those. But we do have the Brown Recluse which I hope I can stay away from.
  6. FloridaOrange

One day when I was younger I was weeding my neighbor's flowerbed. I had just seen a brown recluse scurry under a peice of wood and was watching out for a black widow that was nested nearby when I got stung by a wood scorpion. Though the least dangerous of the 3, the bite sucked. I could feel the venom running up my arm - that was scary.
  7. CHH

CHH New Member

Are you suggesting that arachnids conduct coordinated inter-species attacks on humans? Is it time for a holy war against the arachnid terrorists?:D
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  8. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

The closest I have been to a Scorpion was carrying in fire wood. It was cold enough that day to put him into hybernation. I was setting the last log on the mantle when something fell off the log into my hand. I looked down and I was holding one that was starting to wake up. He went into the fire in a hurry.

Black Widow's are everywhere around here, but I'll take one of them any day over the Recluse.
  9. FloridaOrange

They must've recognized the weakness in a well-intentioned 13 year old. :D
    No weakness now, I just squash them on site!

We seem to have a load of brown widows around here, along with the black ones. The only scorpions I've seen down here are pretty small, usually smaller than a quarter. The one's up in TN were like 6" long! :eek:
  10. molo

molo Member

The benefits of living in 9 cold, dark, dismal, and dreary months..... very few small predators survive, so you'll live to see another 9 cold, dark, dismal, and dreary months.