Nicked a copper pipe, how bad is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
Hello, I slightly got into a pipe (I think it's hot water) while cutting through my ceiling. No water is coming out that I can see, but I did a little damage. I've got a plumber coming out in a few days - to do the thing I was "helping" with (finding where he can put a drain upstairs...) - but I'm wondering if it'll start leaking/flooding before then.

In other words, is it possible to just "nick" a pipe and it'll hold for at least a few days? Or do I want to stay up all night watching the thing?

Thank you!
IMG_1864[1].JPG IMG_1863[1].JPG IMG_1865[1].JPG

Reaction score
Not with that tool.

It won't hold for a few days. It'll hold for a few decades like the rest of the pipes in your home.

If it puts you to sleep, add a layer of solder on it, then close it up.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I won't give you a guaranty of "a few decades" but I guess you're safe there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
quote;
You'll sleep better if you sand the area, flux it, and solder it.

But you will still have to get all the water out of the pipe before you can do any soldering.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYer101

Reaction score
Thank you all - that's reassuring.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, but I think it'd be easy to drain that pipe for a repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks