Nibco Classic stop valves (modern version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
yet another Me and My Big Mouth event - a copper line circling an old house has a drain on it, in the form of a stop valve with a bad leak from a failed washer

"No problem," I say, "It's a Nibco Classic, and I carry replacement washers for those."

Famous last words. The bonnet on this stop valve won't come off. At least the homeowner wasn't watching my comeuppance. And all the while, I'm looking at the words on the handle. Nibco Classic - Lifetime Guarantee (and it's true - for the rest of my life, I guarantee I'll never trust that a Nibco stop valve is repairable like they used to be)

But what's the deal with small valves being unserviceable? It was bad enough to see un-removeable bonnets on the imported boiler drains we had soldered in place, instead of threading them into a fitting, but on a "lifetime guaranteed" Nibco Classic? It's just wrong.

If the kind of thinking behind these unrepairable stop valves is infecting the rest of the home plumbing products being offered today, my sincere condolences to all plumbers.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Hammers didn't even enter into the picture on the old Nibco stops. No extreme force ever needed. Same deal with Lee (Phelps Dodge) stop valves. Nibco and Lee were the major players in our area, and anyone who was anyone had the 3/8L replacement washers in quantity. The idea that you should be hammering at plumbing to change a washer is ludicrous, when it is so easy to spin off a bonnet on a well-made stop valve.

I know standards have been slipping, but geez, how much money is Nibco actually saving by abandoning their original repairable designs? They aren't going to underprice whatever is coming in from China, even with their own manufacturing moved to Mexico. I can begin to see why that one little niche company in California, Arrowhead Brass, is making a go of it with their own old-style products, including ten-dollar stop valves.

In any event, hammering in a crawl space at a stop valve teeing off from 1/2-inch copper attached none too strongly to a brick foundation that was ready to crumble like chalk just wasn't on the menu, not when I can replace it with a C x F elbow and a boiler drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If you are still using and repairing "stop valves", actually globe valves, you are an anomaly in the industry, and should be in a museum next to the dinosaurs.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
If you are still using and repairing "stop valves", actually globe valves, you are an anomaly in the industry, and should be in a museum next to the dinosaurs.
You'll find me next to the guy who believes the tire shop isn't supposed to tighten the lug nuts so much that a guy can't change a flat.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
A wrench and a hammer is all I have ever needed to separate the bonnet from a valve body.
Hammers and old plumbing = bad ju-ju

Attachments

• cracked-compression-nut.jpg
    cracked-compression-nut.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,099
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks