Newbie with well casing issue, 5 inch PVC???

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. Breeze

Reaction score
Got it all taken care of, ended up pulling everything up a couple feet and strapping the elbows to the roof with a ratchet strap, then I took another rope and tied it off in another place just in case.. Took an angle grinder and cut the old rusty bolts off with the seal still on the pipes, beat the old rusty bolts out, separated the seal and cleaned it all up, then made some new bolts with some all-thread, and put it back in the hole all the way this time with about 8 inches of pipe sticking out, tightened it down and the seal does hold the pipe, and holds it extremely well, but just in case I added some worm clamps around each pipe at the base on "top of seal". Then went on to cut the old elbows off and add new elbows and pipe to the pump, etc etc etc. The seal is extremely effective at holding a solid grip on the piping from falling in to the elbows, I could literally stand on the elbows when I got the seal back in and fully tightened, im pretty sure thats what this seal is designed to do, but just for safe measure, I put the clamps on as well.

New pump works awesome, absolutely no problems with it after getting all the air out. I will run a test this week and see how quick the well recovers, this will determine if I change this setup to a sub, and eliminate this crappy jet pump and booster..

Do I risk hurting this well by doing a recovery test??? From what I understand, I need to literally run the pump until im sucking air, then wait one hour, then I run the pump until I again suck air, only this time I fill a tote, however many gallons I get in that tote/drums I then devide that by 60 minutes and that tells me a rough estimate of the wells recovery rate? Am I understanding this right? Do I risk caving in the well by doing a test like this? I do have a 250 gallon tote.

Obviously if it just runs for hours without getting air im probably good and have nothing to be concerned about, but if I run out in 20 minutes then perhaps this is not a well I want to put a whole lot of money into???

Appreciate the help fellas!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Good solution. Glad things are working nicely.
Do I risk hurting this well by doing a recovery test??? From what I understand, I need to literally run the pump until im sucking air, then wait one hour, then I run the pump until I again suck air, only this time I fill a tote, however many gallons I get in that tote/drums I then devide that by 60 minutes and that tells me a rough estimate of the wells recovery rate? Am I understanding this right? Do I risk caving in the well by doing a test like this? I do have a 250 gallon tote.

That sounds good to me, as long as you turn off the power to the pump when you run out of water. I don't know what speed is needed for that... 30 seconds?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah just don't let the pump run dry for more than a minute or so and you will be good, shouldn't hurt the well. A well seal is not designed to hold the pipe. It is only doing so because your drop pipe is very light. Worm gear clamps will work, but well seals are made to have a coupling, elbow, or tee sitting on the seal and holding everything up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks