newbie well question

Users who are viewing this thread

rbig

Reaction score
I have a 600' well in western NC. When we change filters, it pumps lots of black sand and iron. We get it in our lavatories, toilets, showers, etc. We have a 100 gal accumulator.

Does it "fill" the accumulator? Wondering if we need to clean it out, periodically.

Is there anything on the well side we can do? Does it hurt the pump?

Does anyone have a whole house filter arrangement they can recommend to us?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A whole house filter is great for the house, but does nothing to keep that sediment out of the pump.

I would suggest you have a Lakos seperator installed on your pump. They are pricey, but it will keep most of the sediment out of the pump which will extend its life and save you money on your filter replacements.

rbig

Reaction score
Do the well guys who come out neccessarily assume you have a deep enough rat hole? Or do they mount it up the shaft a bit? I'd like to not have them drill.

I guess they "pull" the well, and bring the pump out on top.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The Lakos goes on the pump, so not sure what you mean by "up the shaft" If you mean up off the bottom of the rock bore hole, then yes. Of course one needs enough depth for the sand to accumulate.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does it "fill" the accumulator? Wondering if we need to clean it out, periodically.

Describe in detail what you have as an accumulator. If it is not programmed to automatically flush, then you need to do it manually.

A conventional *batch* pump system runs in *flat out* cycles and the resulting surge action can contribute to mobilize the sand. Reducing the GPM rate and reducing the cycling may help to reduce the amount of sand that gets mobilized. For that, you should analyze your GPM usage patterns and consider a CSV to match the draw to the usage, thereby reducing the surging.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually pumps are set 20-30 feet off the bottom of the well. When we install a Lakos seperator, we pull the pump up another 20'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks