newbie tub (tile) install question

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by darren b, Feb 11, 2013.

1. darren b

darren b New Member

Hey guys i installed my first acrylic tub last week. the tub is installed, I ran my backer board 1/4" above the 1" flange on the tub.(as per mirolin instructions ) I also coated the backer board with mapie auqa defence. my problem now is what is the best way to seal the 1/4" gap I have between the backer board and the tub flange? I will be installing 6x6 tile for the tub surround. Looking at it now, i maybe should of ran the backer board rate over the tub flange, but like i said I am a newbie reading the tub instuction sheet. thanks for the help
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The installed tiles are all that is needed to cover the gap. Leave 1/4" between the bottom row of tile and the tub deck for caulk.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

As long as less than half the tile is cantilevered over the tiling flange, it should be okay structurally since you're not walking on the wall. You don't need as much as a 1/4", but you do want a gap that can be easily caulked. Consider foam backer rod in there - it produces a better caulk joint.
  4. darren b

darren b New Member

thanks guys, i was concerned about the gap, but if i caulk it good it should hold up, any makes of caulking i should be looking for? i live in Canada thanks
  5. SH140

SH140 New Member

This is good to know because I thought I read that the backerboard came down "over" the tiling edge of tub to a 1/4" above the tub itself. This sounds much better and easier when the tile goes on. Thanks
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You want at least your vapor barrier from behind the cbu to come down over the tiling flange. Some tubs have a fairly tall tiling flange, and some are quite short...it's better to have the cbu come down over the flange. To do this takes some work; either, notch the studs so the flange is flush, use some spacers on the studs to bring it out, or depending on the cbu, sometimes, you can put a rabbit on the back without compromising it (not the easiest thing to do without it all breaking up). You do not want the cbu bent over the flange.