Newbie question Toto Drake CST743S, cleaning rim holes

Users who are viewing this thread

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Hello,

Complete noob here!

I have a question about my Toto Drake CST743S.

My question is, how to get solution (e.g. vinegar) inside the rim of the toilet? Please note I have no issues with the Toto, it works beautifully. I'd just like to know for future cleaning.

The reason I ask. The other toilet in my house is an American Standard, the rim holes were slightly plugged when I bought the house in 2012. I opened the rim holes gently with a drill bit (no drill, just by hand with a bit that fit in the holes). This helped.

Next I had an idea and ran an inexpensive pond pump in the American Standard toilet overnight. I ran a gallon of colored vinegar from the bowl to the overflow tube, and confirmed the colored vinegar came through all of the rim holes. In the morning the toilet flushed very well. The last time I did this treatment on this toilet was two years ago and the toilet still flushes great ever since.

Today I decided I would give the Toto the same rim treatment with the pond pump and vinegar, as proactive maintenance to keep it flushing well. First I tested the pump with colored water. The bulk of the water came out the bottom hole in the bowl, and very little came out a few rim holes.

A normal full tank flush on the Toto shows strong water coming from all holes in the rim. But I can't seem to get that to happen with the pond pump or with even pouring a gallon jug of colored water into the overflow tube or the flush valve.

If the bottom hole in the bowl could be plugged, would that force more out the rim holes? How would I plug it if so? Is there another way way to force more out through the rim holes, without removing the toilet and turning it upside down?

I've searched and searched the 'net for ideas but I'm just not finding anything. Thank you very much for your time and any info on getting more cleaning solution into the inside of the rim of the Toto.

Kind regards.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You're putting the stuff in the right place. However, how it is divided once it gets in the "innards" of the porcelain is the issue. I think plugging the hole at the bottom, causing a backup, might work, but you're gonna have a lot in there before it all starts coming out the rim holes. I think there's some action that occurs with the big rush of water that pushes it first to the siphon jet (hole in bottom) and extra going to rim holes. You dont have that rush with the pump system.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you would need to plug the siphon jet hole near the bottom of the bowl if you want more vinegar out the rim holes.
The bulk of the flush on the TOTO is out of the siphon jet.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Thank you both very much.

I'd like to try plugging the siphon jet and see if I can get more coming out through the rim. Any ideas on best way to plug the hole, that would hold through the process overnight? I don't think I have a cork large enough to fit there. An old sock perhaps? Ideas welcome :)

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thank you both very much.

I'd like to try plugging the siphon jet and see if I can get more coming out through the rim. Any ideas on best way to plug the hole, that would hold through the process overnight? I don't think I have a cork large enough to fit there. An old sock perhaps? Ideas welcome :)
Duct tape would probably work. You might also want to put duct tape over the rim holes so that whatever vinegar solution makes it into the rim channel stays in there to dissolve the mineral deposits. I think I'd use 2 to 3 gallons of vinegar. After that sits overnight, remove the tape and all of the loosened material will wash away with a few regular flushes.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are going to seal the siphon jet, I think it would have to be some inflatable that can conform. I don't know if a balloon filled with air or water would be durable enough.

I was thinking that replacing the toilet would be less work, but your way is nicely innovative.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
Y'all are super, and such a nice group. Thank you!

You've got me thinking... I will experiment with your ideas and a few more. Please keep any other ideas coming.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you search for "test ball", you will find an inflatable that is used for blocking pipes for plumbing tests. I don't know if those are flexible enough to conform to the siphon jet hole.

I also don't know what size or shape your siphon jet hole is.

Pseudonym

Reaction score
SOLVED!! I just watched a silly video where a gal plugged the same Toto's siphon jet with a wad of paper just to demonstrate it will still flush quite well without the jet.

So I tried the easy route and used a white cotton terry washcloth, folded diagonally to make a triangle, then fished it in from the point all the way up to the widest part of the triangle. Nice and snug and gave me a length to tie to the pond pump so it won't get pulled in. Water test with the pond pump was superb and all rim holes running tons of water!

@Plumbs Away - you're right, it took closer to 2 gallons of vinegar to fill all cavities and keep the pond pump happy. And me happy. I'll let it run for several hours and call it good.

Thanks all! This works!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks