Newbie No water pressure - 7" redheaded centipede fried in my square D Now What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Capades

Reaction score
New to well life, water Stopped running so I checked the well house . All breakers were good but pressure was 0. I tried to reset the square d- nothing. Turned off all power and opened the square d and found the dreaded red headed centipede stuck to the contacts. I proceeded to remove and clean them as best I could with a toothbrush. Turned on power- nothing. Decided to check wires with multimeter. I have 220 going in but nothing going out ( not sure if that is because the contacts were not touching or if the switch is just bad) . Not the hot wiring kind of girl to find out.
Would the switch at least spark if it were still good but not making enough contact to raise the pressure?
Did I mention that of course this is all happening after the sun has gone down, while the husband is out of town on the night before school starts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does your Square-D have a low pressure cut-off? It is a small lever on the side that has to be held just so to override it until the pressure is high enough.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The lever has essentially three positions. Forward (toward you) is normal which will open the contacts if the pressure is too low. All the way back is in lockout and will hold the contacts open regardless of pressure. Somewhere in between it will close the contacts if held just so.

Put your volt meter on the two lines going to the pump and slowly lift the lever. If it shows no voltage at all in any position of the lever, the contacts are not making and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Capades

Reaction score
Perfect thank you will do when in the early hours. I was not too sure about moving the switch while I had the meter on it. No way of telling the difference between dirty contacts and bad switch?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have an emery board for doing your nails, you can whittle it down to fit between the insulators. Make sure the breaker is off!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
An emery board usually works but be sure not to use a metal file! A part of the bug is still insulating the contacts! Yes, you should see a spark when you engage the low pressure cut off switch. Well Drillers and Pump Installers love bugs in pressure switches!

Capades

Reaction score
Thank you thank you! The emery board was the big dollar tool I needed.
I appreciate you sticking with me and my questions and I am sure to be back in the near future as issues come up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks