Newbie needs some help

Users who are viewing this thread

Flashlight

Reaction score
I’m renovating a 60’s style bathroom that had a single sink to a new vanity having double sinks. My questions deals with the cast iron drain pipes. Current configuration is a massive 3†vertical cast iron pipe with a T connection to a horizontal (except for drain slope) 2†cast iron pipe about 19†long ending in a huge nipple. From the nipple an amazing 2†cast iron pipe makes a 90 degree turn through the outside wall. What’s amazing is this last pipe converts from cast iron to a 1 ¼†tin/steel pipe somewhere in the run. The outside diameter stays the same at the conversion but is covered with clay like substance to make up the diameter except at the very end where old sink connection was made. I have loosened this last 90 degree pipe. My questions:

1. I can’t budge/remove the long 2†pipe connected to the 3†cast iron pipe. Is this connection threaded in? Which way does it turn? I don’t have any huge pipe wrench and the large rubber strap wrench I have is slipping. Can I drill a hole in the pipe insert a screw driver and turn it that way? Can I break it up with a hammer without hurting the 3†vertical pipe? Any thoughts would be helpful.

2. What is the optimum new drain pipe configuration for the double sinks. The existing vertical 3†cast iron pipe with the 2†T connector would be to the left of both sinks and I’m hoping can be left alone. From the end of the T to the middle of new sink would be about 6†then 29†to center of second sink. I assume the horizontal cast iron goes away and I convert to PVC. My plan is this rubber fitting (Fernco P22U-205) 2†to 2†goes in the cast iron nipple then 2†PVC run to a 2†T connector. T side that goes through the outside wall stays at 2� Other T end runs to the second sink and makes a 90 degree turn to the outside wall. Total horizontal run is around 36†and I’m planning a 1 ½†rise? Is this a good plan?

Thanks in advance to the professionals and craftsmen who frequent this forum.

steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You need a big pipe wrench, and some luck so that the big cast iron fitting does not break while you are trying to remove the pipe. A screwdriver, no matter how big, will not turn it. As far as the actual piping is concerned, what you now have was only suitable for the single sink. changing it to two sinks, properly, requires more piping than you are asking about.

Flashlight

Reaction score
Oh Oh!

Thanks for the reply hj, but I have already torn out the old built in vanity and purchased the new high end double vanity, so I’m committed to finish this project soon.

Are you saying each sink requires a individual connection to the cast iron vertical 3 ½†pipe? Or is the problem with the venting?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm guessing, but the drain line may be too small when you add the second sink...

Flashlight

Reaction score
Still in trouble

Thanks Jim, But the cast iron vertical drain line I have been incorrectly calling 3†is massive and at least 3 ½â€. Can’t imagine its too small for the job, but what do I know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The line going to it may be too small to support two sinks properly...didn't you say it was a 1-1/4"?

Flashlight

Reaction score
Stuck

No, It was 2†cast iron that I just removed (had to buy a large pipe wrench that I’ll probably never use again).

I was hoping to replace with a 2†PVC pipe with a simple plan (see question #2 at the start of this thread).

I’m afraid to move forward until I understand what hj concerns are.

Thanks for the reply

Flashlight

Reaction score
Retirement is tough

Thanks for all the skillful replies!

Just left a old-time hardware store and came up with the following drain configuration:

Leaving vertical cast iron central stack with existing T that outlets to a 2†horizontal run alone. Central stack is to the left of both sinks. New horizontal run will run from the stack and use 2†PVC all the way and has a 1 ½“rise total length about 36â€.

Horizontal components starting from the T in the stack:
1. Rubber fitting into the cast iron stack 2†to 2†(Fernco P22U-205 service weight soil pipe hub SV).
2. 2†pipe around 6†long
3. 2†T connecter outlet pointed to outside wall. (1st sink connection)
4. 2†pipe around 20†long
5. 2†T connecter outlet pointed up (outlet fitted with 12†pipe then a 2†Air Admittance Valve.
6. 2†pipe around 6†long
7. 2†90 degree fitting pointed to outside wall (2nd sink connection)

I hope the AAV is necessary and this is a acceptable configuration and meets all codes (though this isn’t going to be inspected). Any thoughts on testing this horizontal run before I put it all behind a wall?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks