Newbie, is it a leaking toilet drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

hardywang

Reaction score
I have a toilet on my second floor, 99% of the time when I flush it I can hear from my first floor, right below the toilet and somehow inside the wall the sound like dripping water. The feeling is that there is leaking somewhere.

Today I removed the toilet completely, and I can see from the black pipe under the toilet as shown in picture below.

it is normal or it is broken and leaking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks normal. Unless you see a wet spot , I would not worry about the drip sound. When the waste water runs down the pipe it may make some water sounds. When the pipe changes direction from horizontal to vertical or vise versa you may here dripping or splashing sounds coming from inside the pipe.

hardywang

Reaction score
Unless you see a wet spot , I would not worry about the drip sound.

That's something I am not 100% sure. Because right below my toilet is my kitchen cabinet. I don't think I will be able to see the wet spot with such setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All plumbing in a new home is tested by filling the pipes up through the roof. That puts it under a ten foot head of pressure at the least. Sometimes thirty and more.
What you have is water draining inside the pipes without pressure. ABS is not quiet. You can hear everything. Hearing water in the pipe, is not the same as hearing a tiny drip that may land on sound deadening wood or drywall. The fact that you hear water, most likely means it's contained.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
One reason you might have a little drip, which is within the pipe, might be that it's time for a new flapper in your toilet. Try shutting it off at the wall, and marking the water level in the tank with a pencil. Come back in 12 hours and see if the water level has declined a bunch. If so, you likely have a little drip past the flapper, which goes into the toilet, which drips a little out of the bowl and down the drain. If you have this issue, and want input on flapper choice and replacement, let us know.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
An easy way to see if your flapper is leaking is to put a few drops of red food coloring in the toilet tank. If the bowl turns red WITHOUT flushing, you know it's leaking.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I never liked ABS and still won't do foam core PVC either. Stuff is incredibly noisy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks