Newbie help requested- bent snake/auger

Users who are viewing this thread

Jayla

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help and consideration. I was clearing my shower drain this morning with a drum auger and while trying to retrieve it, kinks started forming- I was probably turning it too fast and unpatiently. I am able to force the wire back into the holder, but if I turn I'm afraid it will make the problem worse. Is there any way to straighten the kinks, or if this is not possible, how can I extract the wire?

Last edited:

Jayla

Reaction score
Thanks, I am planning to throw it away once I remove it from the drain; the problem is that it is now stuck there. I've tried reversing and pulling to no avail- is there anything else I could try?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks, I am planning to throw it away once I remove it from the drain; the problem is that it is now stuck there. I've tried reversing and pulling to no avail- is there anything else I could try?

Thats a mess. I cant help you. Your going to need some luck.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Years ago we pulled one out of an underground lateral with a tow truck.

Needless to say the plumber who got it stuck was awfully happy to see it come out in one piece.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Years ago we pulled one out of an underground lateral with a tow truck.

Needless to say the plumber who got it stuck was awfully happy to see it come out in one piece.

Thats funny! I had a customer once who decided to rent a snake from the hardware store. he took it home and went up on the roof and proceeded to run the cable into the kitchen sink vent. It got stuck. His bright idea was to tie a heavy rope to the cable and tie the rope to his pickup truck bumper. He said he just wanted to "bump" it free. Well his trucks idea of a "bump" tore the cast iron stack out of the side of the house.

About 4 grand later everything was A ok. DIY is great when your successful at your task but somtimes it can go wrong......and quick.

I got a sewer camera stuck about 3 months ago...ended up breaking the hallway slab out to remove it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A friend once called me because his local plumber had used a snake on his kitchen drain and got it stuck. He told my friend to get it out or he would charge him for it. I dug down to the 4" main line cleanout, removed the plug and pulled the kinked, curled up snake out and dumped it on the ground. Then I unplugged his main sewer, which was the real problem anyway, and told him to call the plumber to pick up his snake. A snake that "kinks" while being retrieved has gotten stuck in "something", maybe even went through a break in the pipe and drilled a hole in the ground. All you can do is try to force it out, possibly with a cable puller. It will either break or pop loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks