newbie asking questions about hand pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rbig, Dec 19, 2012.

1. rbig

rbig New Member

I have a sprinkler 2hp pump sitting on the ground, on concrete blocks. It looks like it goes into a 2" line, straight down. There is a check valve at ground level.

I would like to have a hand pump, in case power fails. One similar to those sold by HarborFreight. Our well is probably 20' deep.

Can I cut into this and rig the hand pump?

Some things I've read say I should run a 1 1/4" line down from the hand pump with a foot valve on the bottom. If this is the case, I'd say I can't use the 2" pipe coming up--------or-------can I use it with adapter fittings?

Is there a way I can use both my sprinkler pump and a hand pump?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You can use 1 1/4" if the OD of the couplings has been turned down. But you can't have both in the same 2" well. Probably be easier to drive another point well just for the hand pump.
  3. Wallysurfr

Wallysurfr New Member

I thought about trying that but I have 1.25" coming out of the well. I was going to have a T instead of the elbow heading to the pump then off the top of the T a nipple and the hand pump. Is that not possible?

Would the hand pump add to my air leak? Can air get past the leathers? Could you put a valve in between the T and the hand pump to turn it on and off?

I also had 17 connections and an air leak so my first order of business is getting the well to work properly. Might be driving another point! UGHHH!
  4. valveman

Have you checked out hand pumps? They should have a pump barrel at the bottom and a shaft going from the barrell to the handle. I don't think you will get the barrell to fit down the 1 1/4" pipe. And even if you can, the packing seal around the shaft under the handle will let air suck in when using the jet pump.
  5. Wallysurfr

Wallysurfr New Member

oh ok I guess my newbieness is showing. I have a pitcher pump that I wanted to do this with. I guess that's different than a hand pump?
  6. valveman

Pitcher pumps, hand pumps, same thing. They have a shaft that goes down to a pump barrell. The pump barrell probably won't fit down the 1 1/4" pipe, and if it did you can't keep air from sucking in around the hand pump shaft seal when using the jet pump.