Newb questions about water storage

Users who are viewing this thread

VaBob

Reaction score
Background:
Just bought first house. Has well drilled through the the bottom of an old cistern. In old cistern contains the well and cap, 30gl pressure tank, and power and controller. Well pump pressure switch is a 20/40 with low pressure cut off. All of this is branched from a sub panel in a garage.
In the house theready is a old and now broken water softener, that is fed from the well. Then goes into a 500gl holding tank with a float valve. A booster pump feeds from there to a 30gl pressure tank, then to house.

Long lead up, I know. Stay with me for a minute more.

I need to get rid of the 500gl holding tank. The tank is unsealable from critters. Water feeds from the top, and is pulled from the top, so there isn't really any turn over stagnant water, and we have excessive moisture in our crawl space where it's located. I would also like to add a filter and new softener at the same time.

My questions are these.

Who makes a non-pressurized tank that can fit through a normal doorway, that can be piped together for target capacity?

Who makes a modern float valve to put in such tanks?

And how do I troubleshoot a clicking fleck head that's no regenerating?

Thanks for your time and advice,
Bob

Reach4

Reaction score
Has well drilled through the the bottom of an old cistern. In old cistern contains the well and cap, 30gl pressure tank, and power and controller.
You should have the casing extended above ground. If you have a "well seal" at the bottom of a pit, that is subject to flooding. The well seal cannot be relied on to seal.

How big around is your casing?
And how do I troubleshoot a clicking fleck head that's no regenerating?
What model do you have? Check for labels, and/or post one or two photos.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would just test the output of the well. If it will make 5 or more GPM for an an hour or so, I would just do away with the storage tank and booster pump. If the well will make enough water you can go directly to the softener and on to the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a lot of info on that valve. That is good.
Try searching for fleck 5600 econominder troubleshooting in a search engine. In fact, just using econominder in a search will turn up a bunch of useful info. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?search/20348616/&q=econominder&o=date

The resin may or may not need replacement. What are the tank dimensions? (height and either diameter or circumference?

VaBob

Reaction score
After poking around some more, the well pump is a 1/3hp, and from the looks of the controller, from 1983. Maybe this is why they have a storage tank? Might not be powerful enough to keep up?

And thanks for the link. I don't know how old the softener is. There's no date stamp or other indicator. I just turn the valve to bypass because all it was doing was clicking rapidly and I could hear it through the the entire bottom floor of the house. It's in the crawl space.

The house was empty for 2 years before we bought it last summer. Wife and I agreed that 2016 was about getting it back up and running and finding what needs worked on. Well now it's time to start fixing stuff. So thanks for the help and keep suggestions coming. I do appreciate it.

VaBob

Reaction score
So I spoke to the 2nd owner of the house who had the well drilled. just for reference, Im number 4. He said the well is 190-200ft, and has a decently high water table, but it has a low refill rate. Thats why the small cistern tank was added. So after some talking and reading online Ive decided to get two 150 gallon storage tanks. I think I will only use one and see how it goes, but because of shipping and manufacturing lead times, I got 2. Im going to move the water storage from the crawl space to the cistern/pump room. Since I have a 30 gallon pressure tank already in there, I would like to add a goulds 3/4hp jet pump or other similar type of pump that will feed from the tank to the house. Ive got about a 15ft rise, and 80 ft of travel to the middle of my house. Ive been studying the CSV that many talk about here, and Im still on the fence about it. But ive still got more reading to do on that before I start asking question.

So here is my question at the moment. Ive been reading some stats about different brands of pumps and some of them have a max inlet pressure listed. If I mount the pump about a foot off the floor, but have the 150 gallon tank plumbed into the pump, will that be too much inlet pressure for some pumps to handle?

Thanks guys

btw, if anyone is interested, this is the tank I ordered.
https://www.ntotank.com/150gallon-polymart-white-vertical-storage-tank-x5616920

Reach4

Reaction score
58 inches of water column is 2.1 PSI.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy 300 gallon poly tanks that will go through a doorway. Plumb it up with a mechanical float valve rather than electric floats to keep it simple. For a booster pump, a Goulds pump is hard to beat.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ive been studying the CSV that many talk about here, and Im still on the fence about it. But ive still got more reading to do on that before I start asking question.

Don't wait until you have a problem to use a CSV to solve it. And don't take my word for it. See what people who use Cycle Stop Valves really think here.
https://cpkits.com/pages/customer-gallery

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks