New wood vanity got damaged. Called plumber

Users who are viewing this thread

roseyb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I live in the Boston area and just did a half bath remodel down to the studs.

Called a licensed plumber to update the plumbing to accommodate the new vanity and install it along with the faucet.
The plumber sent his young plumber who just finished up his apprenticeship. Very nice young man. He had to cut a pipe and put new PBC and installed everything. The bathroom isn’t being used that much because the house is being updated. The new valves on one side leaked. I didn’t catch it for a while.

I called the plumber back and Mike the nice young man said one of the valves wasn’t tight and he tightened it and sopped up some of the water. It was difficult to get your hand in the back of the vanity due to a draw. So the $330 cherry wood vanity is bowing in many places and had mold as well.

Am I wrong to want the the plumber to replace vanity? My mosaic tile work that will be damaged when they pull off the sink to to replace the vanity.

I don't like confrontation. I’m a single mom who saved and saved to do this bathroom tear out. I am getting myself worked out thinking they may tell me to go away. I had paid the plumber $300 to do this work too

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

P.S. I tried to attach photos but the drag/drop feature wasn't working for me.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Bad things some times happen but he should step up and take care of any damage caused by HIS leak.

John

3m

Reaction score
I would ask the plumber to make the repairs needed to replace anything that was damaged, This is why they require licensed contractors to carry liability insurance, to protect the homeowner.

Cookie

Reaction score
The mold can be wiped off, and depending exactly how bowed it is would determine what I would do. As long as the leak is stopped I wouldn't get all worked up about it. They will probably do something, by the way, he was very very reasonable in his price to you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on where the damage is the cabinet may be repairable. Sometimes new floors can be installed without removing the cabinet. But his insurance, assuming he has it, should cover the damage and repairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks