New Whirlpool Tub Install

Users who are viewing this thread

slickrick

Reaction score
Hello all-

I was wondering what the opinions are out there on raising the support height of a tub deck I am building for a new whirlpool bath. My dillema is that the tub sits at approx 20" in height out of the box, but I want the set height to be 24" so the granite deck can "flow" into the shower area to form a comfortable height ledge top for seating.

Can 2 2x4's nailed together and spaced 12 inches on center across 3/4 inch substrate provide the type of new support I would require - or should this puppy absolutely sit on a floor of some kind (like adding a concrete base, or more 3/4 ply layered to raise the height)?

Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind the tub may hold 600-800 pounds of water plus the one or two people sitting in it (or more!). A structural platform should work fine if it is built properly.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your tub should have installation instructions which will include where support beams should be placed. It is not necessary to have a complete floor under it. You should remember that 2x4s are neither 2" nor 4". I would use treated outdoor wood timbers. As Jim stated, there is a lot of weight involved even with a small tub. Water weighs something like 8 lbs per gallon. My small spa hold 250 gallons. so that's a ton of water!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks