New Well

Users who are viewing this thread

StumpyCreekFarm

Reaction score
We just finished up building our house and are in the process of settling in. We had a well drilled back a couple months ago an have been using it since. The water is clear, doesn't have a smell, but thought I better test it see what we have. I tried two different DIY test kits with the strips etc. The results from one is as follows;

Total Nitrate fell 0-2
Nitrite 0
Sulfate less than 250
Iron 0
Copper 0
PH 8.5 one test then 7.5 on the most recent
Alkalinity fell between 240-500 (closer to 500 in color) on first test and matched close to 240 on 2nd. (which was the max on this one)
Total Harness 0-50 range
Hydrogen Sulfide 0-0.3
Chloride fell in 0-250
The first kit also had a bacteria test that wasn't suppose to turn colors till after 48hrs and it didn't turn for several days which is good.

I am not the greatest at these match the color tests. My first thought was to just put a Sediment filter on it and check for bacteria every once an a while, but thought I would check to see if something else would help. I appreciate any help that can be given.

Aaron,

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true. Consider the watercheck test from http://watercheck.com/products.html http://watercheck.com/pdf/ConsumerOrderForm93010.pdf is prices. Nearly $150 and 2 or 3 weeks for results.

I like the Big Blue filter housings. There are lots of non-propriatary 4.5 by 20 inch filters that fit them. Get silicon grease for the O-ring, and have a spare O-ring. Consider plumbing a bypass around the filter, and consider a pressure gauge at the output of the filter to detect pressure drop through the filter.

Consider well sanitizing. I am pretty sure that the bacteria test you did was looking just for pathogenic bacteria. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is the procedure I like, but it is more rigorous than most.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The DIY test strips really tell very little compared to a comprehensive test done by a testing company. Most municipalities require a test be done on the well after it is drilled. A real test is fairly inexpensive and considering what can be in the water that the DIY tests don't test for...

http://www.ntllabs.com/ is a good source for a real test.

StumpyCreekFarm

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. I had a local lab give me a quote for $260 for a water analysis, but I don't think it covered everything that is described in the recommend above.
My driller was pretty impressed with the water found. He was worried about hitting salt water. In my area according to him, if you go too deep it is pretty common around here in WV.
Does the high Alkalinity cause any problems? If so, is it hard to treat?
Also, is the watercheck test the one you would recommend?
Thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Aaron,

Watercheck is actually National Testing Labs so the links that Reach and Dittohead provided are to the same company.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Correct, I prefer the well check, usually about $135, be sure to add some money for shipping, it usually requires overnight shipping which can cost a few $$$

StumpyCreekFarm

Reaction score
In reference to the big blue housings, I see where some people put as many as 3 in line. Do you have any recommendations on a good "one size fits all" setup? How many, which filters, etc. I saw some of these on good ol fleabay paired up with UV lights for $350-400 range.

ditttohead

Reaction score
DO not buy BB housings from EB.., too many garbage housings are being sold there. I have been to many of the manufacturing facilities in China, and... wow, I wouldn't put some of them in my enemies house. The price savings of a few dollars is simply not worth it. Consider you can buy a Huffy mountain bike for $79 at Wally Mart... what do you think you are getting?

Stick with high end name brand water treatment, Pentek, Sterilight, Viqua, etc.

Reach4

Reaction score
In reference to the big blue housings, I see where some people put as many as 3 in line. Do you have any recommendations on a good "one size fits all" setup? How many, which filters, etc. I saw some of these on good ol fleabay paired up with UV lights for $350-400 range.

I put three 20x4.5 Pentek Big Blue filter housings in line, because I did not know what to expect. I left the first empty. The second has a 50...5 micron variably wound polyester filter. The third has a 1 micron spun polyester filter. I put these after my big iron and sulfur backwashing filter. Do not use cellulose filters with non-chlorinated water.

After 13 months, there were some rust particles in the bottom of the empty housing. The second housing looked to have only a faint subtle gray color compared to the new replacement filter housing. The third filter looked totally clean. I think 2 housing would have been plenty. I did put Apollo combination ball valves with unions on each side of the triple filter array. I assembled and mounted the filters. The plumber who installed the backwashing filter hooked up the filter assembly, and he added a boiler tap to provide handy water for when I was refilling the solution tank with some bleach and mostly water every 5 weeks. That boiler valve is also a place that I can mount a pressure gauge temporarily if I want to check the drop across the filters. Don't tell anyone that it does not have an anti-siphon feature. All of the plumbing is copper or brass.

My 1 micron filter works because the backpressure is less than it would be with smaller filter dimensions.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on a good "one size fits all" setup?

Every water situation can differ both in the minerals and other contaminants contained but also the quantities of each. Your neighbor's well water can be drastically different than your well water.

You are best to identify what is contained in your water through the water analysis previously recommended, so that you know the composition and what conditions which may need treatment. While a Big Blue filter maybe effective for some conditions, it maybe completely ineffective for others or could result in a flow restriction throughout your home's plumbing.

As Dittohead mentioned, a comprehensive water analysis is usually required for any new well. It is also recommended to have the water re-analysed thereafter on a periodic basis.

Water is a basic necessity for life so for your family's long term well-being, it is important to ensure your water supply is safe from not only bacteria but also other contaminants.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Years ago I had a customer in Blythe that had a nasty old garden hose run across his property to the irrigation canal. I would watch the crop dusters regularly spray fertilizers, bug killers and who knows what else right over this canal. This guy told me that he didn't need any fancy equipment, he drank from that same canal for 50 years and the water was just fine, :)

Moral of the story, please get a water test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks