New well Water treatment. Softener with tankless RO.

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by gdw_23, Nov 11, 2011.

1. gdw_23

gdw_23 New Member

Thinking about a water softener and a tankless RO system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well test results.
    Nitrate and Nitrite as N <0.071mg/L
    pH 7.57
    Arsenic (As)-Total 0.0040mg/L
    Barium (Ba)-Total 0.0244mg/L
    Boron (B)-Total 0.151mg/L
    Calcium (Ca)-Total 81.3mg/L
    Copper (Cu)-Total 0.0032mg/L
    Iron (Fe)-Total 0.50mg/L
    Magnesium (Mg)-Total 99.2mg/L
    Manganese (Mn)-Total 0.0185mg/L
    Potassium (K)-Total 5.29mg/L
    Sodium (Na)-Total 48.2mg/L
    Uranium (U)-Total 0.00622mg/L
    Zinc (Zn)-Total <0.020mg/L
    TDS (Calculated from 713mg/L
    EC)
    Sulfate 231mg/L
    Nitrite-N <0.050mg/L
    Nitrate-N <0.050mg/L
    Hardness (as CaCO3) 611mg/L
    Hardness-grains/USgal 35.8
    Hardness-grains/IMPgal 42.9
    Fluoride 0.35mg/L
    Conductivity 1100
    Chloride 33.2 mg/L

Grant
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

I ran the numbers and something is not right IMO. The hardness ions don't add up. I could be wrong or just missing something. Anyway, need to know the amount of people in the family, size of home.
  3. gdw_23

gdw_23 New Member

5 bedroom home, family of 4
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Number of bathrooms and age of children? Any large jetted tubs or multiple shower heads and/or body sprays?
  5. chevy427

chevy427 Banned

Tankless RO? Is that a Merlin?
  6. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Use this site to size your unit. http://www.quality***xx water treatment.com/water_softener_sizing.htm
    Use 1 for the iron.

That web site misapplies equipment. They sell a Fleck 6700 (the Prosoft series) on larger than a 12" dia tank (a 2.0 cuft softener) which is against what Fleck says the control valve should be used on.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  7. gdw_23

gdw_23 New Member

3 Full Bathrooms, 1 powder room,
    Ensuite shower has 4 shower heads.

Children are 10 and 12.

Well produces lots of water and is pumped by a variable drive grundfos consistent pressure pump.
    Thanks
  8. gdw_23

gdw_23 New Member

I haven't choose one yet but these are the ones I have found.

iSpring 400GPD
    Evolution Tankless Reverse Osmosis System (1000GPD)
    GE Merlin 720 GPD Tankless
  9. Gary Slusser

Four shower heads plus all other water being used at the same time should come up to 15-18 gpm peak demand and the softener should have a constant SFR of 15 0r 18 gpm. That means a 2.5 or 3.0 cuft.

For the K of capacity and salt dose settings click the Click Here link in my signature and do the math by hand.
  10. gdw_23

gdw_23 New Member

Hello Gary,
    I was also looking for some insight on the RO unit. Have you used a tankless RO before or do you believe I am better off with a storage system?
  11. Gary Slusser

I am not a fan of tankless ROs although I sold a few of the Merlin and they worked well but.. to justify one you have to be using more than just a few gallons a day.