New well water cloudy...clay?

Users who are viewing this thread

gorgemom

Reaction score
I would love to tell him to get over here and do it himself, but they charge $200 - $300 per hour for well development, and I can't afford that on top of paying for the whole well, pump install etc. The water is gradually becoming more clear. I have a hose hooked up right now and it was less cloudy this morning. I haven't heard from the lab yet, but I am hoping for good news with the potableness of the water. (is potableness a word? :rolleyes: )

gorgemom

Reaction score
Update on clay

Well, we have found that the water turns clear (well, nearly clear) after pumping it out for a few hours. Then when it sits for a few hours it turns cloudy again. I am not sure if this means there is a source at the top of the well that is introducing clay etc. Or if the top is just still sloughing off from the drilling. We are going to give it a full 2 weeks from when the pump was set of pumping the water out before we look into any other possible solutions. Our Colliform test came back good, no colliforms present!
Julie

gorgemom

Reaction score
The ph was 6.5-7
the hardness was listed as 100 ppm
iron >.02
Manganese ND
Nitrate ND

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
The PH was either 6.5 or 7,so what is it? Having a rock hole with low ph is an indication that you may have water above the rock coming into the well along with the silt and sediment.

SAM

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
The recommended limits is between 6.5 and 8 so your water could potentially become corrosive if the ph drops any further. I was just curious of any tell tale signs that you might have indicating where the problem is coming from. Keep pumping!

SAM

gorgemom

Reaction score
Update on clay

Hey, the water cleared up after a week and a half! Yeah!!!:D
I was so relieved!!! Thanks again for all of your input and great advice!!!!!

mlmNH

Reaction score
How about old well water cloudy?!?

Hello!

I found this wonderful forum through a Google search. I had to post here because we are having the same issues as gorgemom, except our well is far from new!! (30+ years). We have lived in this house for 5 1/2 years and this is the first issue we've ever had with our water.

We have called one well company and they've been out for an initial diagnosis. The next step apparently is to have a camera sent down the well. They charge $500 for this (!!!!!).

I'm just curious if anyone has any input on the cause of very fine silt in the water of an older well. We live in southwest NH where the soil is very sandy. We also have pockets of clay in our yard, and reading the posts here, I'm thinking now the cloudy water we're getting might be clay-related. Some days are better than others, but this started 2 or 3 weeks ago and has not gone away completely for more than half a day or so.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what anyone had to say on the matter!

Thanks!

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Generally speaking, clay and other things will be removed from the water with a GE/Zenon Homespring whole house filter. One poster above wanted someting and said an RO filter did not remove it. If RO won't get it; Homespring won't either. They go down to 0.02 microns but a proper RO goes even smaller and affects dissolved materials.

Speedbump

Reaction score
With a 30+ year old well, you could easily have holes in your casing which can be leaching in surface water from above the aquifer your well was drilled into originally. When it rains it can make this scenario worse.

If it were mine, I would save the $500.00 and put it towards a new system. Otherwise it may nickel and dime you to death.

bob...

mlmNH

Reaction score
With a 30+ year old well, you could easily have holes in your casing which can be leaching in surface water from above the aquifer your well was drilled into originally. When it rains it can make this scenario worse.

If it were mine, I would save the $500.00 and put it towards a new system. Otherwise it may nickel and dime you to death.

bob...

Yikes...

Seeing it in those terms, I'm really wondering if part of the pipe has just disintegrated. When this first started, we were having rust in the water. Didn't give it too much thought at first, because we have high iron in our water anyway, and every now and then you'd get some rust. But that would only last a day at best. When the rust persisted and then turned to grit and then very fine silt, we knew it was a bigger deal.

We have put in a whole-house filter with a very small micron rating, but it gunks up after 2 days and the silt comes right back through.

Ok, someone give it to me straight: what ball-park range are we talking if we have to have a new system??? Are we talking drilling a whole new well, or somehow replacing the existing casing?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your talking about a new Well. I would be plugging the old well so the surface water doesn't contaminate the new well and the aquifer around it.

I know these things cost several thousand dollars, but the 30 year old Well doesn't owe you a dime. You could have been paying City Water bills for all those years and been a lot further in the hole than the new Well will put you.

bob...

gastongal

Reaction score
New Bored Well - Water Cloudy

Hello - I had a new bored well installed about a week ago and the water is cloudy. I can't see anything in the water like debris. The well installer told me to let it sit a few days to see if it would clear up. However, what I've read in your postings suggest I should keep pumping it out and letting it refill. The well is 64 feet deep with possibly 35 to 40 feet of water. I think they said it would generate about 35 gallons per hour. I've already clorinated the water and run it out. I told the well company I would not take a sample for testing until the water is clear. Is there a difference between drilled and bored wells on how to get the water clear?

Speedbump

Reaction score
This post is getting a lot of cloudy activity.

Let the water run as fast as possible, like all the above advice. It should clear up soon.

bob...

gastongal

Reaction score
Running the Water Out of a Bored Well

Does anyone know how long at one time I should run out the water. I've run it out for over an hour but I don't know how long to continue. I think the well has (had) about 35 feet of water. The well company is closed all next week so I can't contact them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks