New well water cloudy...clay?

Users who are viewing this thread

gorgemom

Reaction score
Hello, we just had a new well drilled last week and the pump put in today and the water is very cloudy! The drillers said sometimes it is sediment from the drilling process, but how long would it take for this sediment to go away? I know they ran the water for quite awhile today while installing the pump and they said they hoped it would clear up as they did that but it is still cloudy! They told me to run a sprinkler all night and hopefully the sediment would come out, but how long would that take?
If it is just colloidal clay that is going to stay in the water, what is the best way to clean that out? I have heard that traditional filtration systems are ineffective. I am going to have the water tested next week. Is drinking clay water dangerous?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had some wells that took a few weeks to clear up. My best advice to you would be to run it as much as possible at the highest flow rate you can without overdrawing the well. The softer the rock the longer it will take to clear. I would run a garden hose right off of your holding tank and turn it all the way on. This is not an uncommon problem. Run the water everyday!

SAM

[video=youtube;lD5dL0wp3zQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5dL0wp3zQ[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

gorgemom

Reaction score
One more thing?

Thanks Sam! Is it safe to feed to my animals? Or wash with etc.?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the animals its only minerals and nothing that can harm their health. As far as your clothing you could get some staining and your screens on your washer could get plugged up. You can also get a lot of build up in your heating system depending on how much is coming through but it can be flushed once the well clears up. I'm not sure how much you have coming through or exactly how long it will take to clear but you could always have a cartridge filter installed to keep down the sediment while the well is being flushed. A cartridge filter is not a good permanent solution for heavy silt or sediment removal if the water doesn't clear up.

SAM

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
turn on a garden hose outside and let the well run. just let it go, don't turn it off. let it run until it gets clear and then let it run some more. this will help speed things up. also, we have had customers that don't do this and the problems never stops. it could be that the driller did not spend enough time with development and you might have to do some yourself.

gorgemom

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I will do just that! I am pretty sure they didn't spend much time on the well development. How much time should they spend? The well drillers spent maybe a half day, if that after the drilling. Then the pump setter spent approx two hours to set the pump and run it. He left knowing the water was murky. Is this okay?

I am really frustrated! I have so much dirt in my pipes now, it is literally coming out as dirt! We have another well with good water, but it was in the process of going dry (hence the reason for the new well) I have tried to switch back to this well until we get the other one to clear up, but we don't have enough water in it to clear the pipes of all of the dirt and sediment.

I really hope it clears up!:confused:

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would call the well company and make them aware of the issue. There could be ground water above the rock entering the well bringing silt and sediment along with it. In Massachusetts the wells have to be pumped off for a minimum of 4 hours before a water analysis is taken.I would question how long they pumped this well because with the water in that condition i find it hard to believe it passed as potable drinking water. If you have an alternate source of water for the house,the only thing you can do at this point would be to let it run with the main valve off to the house so no more sediment or silt comes in. If the water is coming from an undeveloped zone in the rock you will have to pump it. If the water is coming from where the casing is seated in the rock,they will have to install a seal to prevent the silt or sediment from entering the well.

SAM

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put a sample of water in a large clear container and see how long it takes to clear. With that information, including the diameter and volume of the container, it is possible to calculate how big a settling tank would be required, or if a settling tank would be effective.

It is possible to use something like a swimming pool filter or cartridge filters. If it is really bad, then cartridge filters could get expensive.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
if it is colloidal the sting or yarn type filters won't take it out.

has anyone ever used anything from coty chemical company. we have been having great success with a clay removal chemical that has helped to get rid of cloudy water and improve well yield. coty products have been working really well for us.

gorgemom

Reaction score
Does Coty chemical have a web site? I have been doing research into clay removal and even reverse osmosis systems don't seem to be effective. =( I found that a coagulation system is the only thing known to be effective, but I have not been able to find any of these available to private well owners. Any further info would be appreciated.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You realy should be focusing on getting to the source of the problem. If all else fails then water treatment should be considered. Contact the well company.

SAM

gorgemom

Reaction score
I called and left them a message this morning. As it is Sunday I don't expect to hear from them until tomorrow.
I have been running a hose from the well all day today and the water is considerably clearer now, not completely, but earlier I couldn't see to the bottom of the glass with half a glass of water, now I can. I just looked at my well log and it says they did not put in a screen. Isn't it standard to put in a screen? Could that be the source of the problem?

Last edited:

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wells drilled in rock dont have screens. The water is drawn from fractures in the bedrock. If the water is clearing up that is a very good sign. Keep trying the well company and keep running the water.

SAM

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Cotey Chemical in Lubbock, TX. I dont have the phone number handy but, Kevin is a friend of mine and very good at what he does. Sam is right about just needing to develope the well but, if you need more help call Kevin.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's best to unhook the pipe at the well head and let it pump full blast. That will clear it quicker. The well man should have done this when he set the pump.

BobNH, you should tell people to check the max pressure allowed on Pool equipment. Most of it is only 50 lbs. This is not a good idea with a 40/60 switch setting.

bob...

gorgemom

Reaction score
Well I called the well drilling company this morning. My water was much more clear last night after running the hose all day, but this morning it was back to being cloudy again.
The pump installer said I should run a sprinkler rather than a hose. He said that since the well was putting out around 18 gpm the sprinkler would let the water out at a slow enough interval that the water level would go up and down helping to get rid of the clay sediment. I must say though that the water just does not clear as well when using the sprinkler as it does when running the hose. What do you guys think? I just want clear water! He did say that the fact that it did clear a little is a good sign that it will clear completely, is that your experience?
I took a sample to the health department today to see if there is any bacteria present.
I read your posts about hooking the hose directly to the well, but I don't know how to do that. They installed a frost free hydrant right at the well itself and that is where I have been running the hose.
I hope it clears soon! Thank you guys for all of your help and input!!!!

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not run your water through a sprinkler it will not put out nearly as much water as the hydrant and if its an underground sprinkler system the sand will cause the solenoid valves to get stuck open. My advice to you is the same as before,keep running the water. If it doesn't clear up after a week or so,hopefully the well company has a down hole camera and they can pin point where the silt or sediment is coming in at.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
Run the hydrant without the hose. The hose is just another restriction. If the well pumps 18 per minute it will keep up and it should clear sooner that way. I don't know about washing down the walls ov the well by cycling the pump to death, that doesn't sound like a very good solution.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this guy is telling you that the water fluctuating up and down will solve the issue,tell him to get over there, pump the well down,recirculate the water back into the well, and wash down the inside of the bore hole.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks