New Well: Sand in the tub

Users who are viewing this thread

mickeygil1

Dallas firefighter/paramedic
Reaction score
First time post. Myself,father and uncle dug a shallow well, I ran the 3/4hp submersible 10gpm pump for 3 hours the day we stabbed the 4" casing. We put 5 bags of silca sand around the casing (6" bore hole) then filled up the 43' hole with wash rock, then the plug enviro plug I think was the name product then sealed the top with a concrete slab. The pipe is 18"-20" above the slab. I ran the pump 2 plus hours everyday for approx 7-8 days. We then hooked up the 20 gal. pressure tank and a 40-60 pressure switch.
The well is working great and I believe I am getting 4-7 gpm through a 1 1/4" pipe choked down to a water hose. (during the 7-8 day flush). I am now hooked to my house and have a lot of sand. What is the time span usually for all the sand to clear out? And I have a sediment filter on the system now but does not seem to stop the fine sand. About 15 years ago we dug a approx. 100' away from this new well. We had 2 houses on that well and the sand seemed to stop after a few months. Would a whole house filter help?

Thanks for the advise, always willing to learn

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't see where you installed a well screen in this well. If not, you may be plagued with sand for the duration.

bob...

mickeygil1

Reaction score
New Well: Sand in Tub

We installed a 4" well screen 20', attached 20' of 4 inch pvc then approx 6-8' pvc to come out of the hole. Then 5 bags of silca sand, then wash rock. (the bore hole is 6-8") We did this well just like the one we dug 15 years ago, I just can not remember how long it takes for a well to clear up from the sand. I have a few more questions about how to increase pressure at the house. My well is 500' from the house and I have a foundation sprinkler system around the house, so I am very happy I found this forum. Back to the screen, I am in about 20-24' of water, 20' is screen. And I believe it was 30,000 slits and I bought the right size silca to match the slits in the screen. Schedule 40 screen. I bought the rockmaster well digging unit for $2360.00. The bids for a well dug in my area starts about 4500.00-7500.00 and thats if they hit water. We sold our old machine 14 years ago. Thanks for all your help

Speedbump

Reaction score
The number of slits don't tell me anything. What size were the slots; in thousands of an inch? What size was the silica sand? What size was the sand you drilled into that produces the water?

bob...

mickeygil1

Reaction score
12/16 thousandths is the size of the slits

The silca was bought to match the size of the slit (12/16 thoundths). The well is less than 3 weeks old so I maybe jumping the gun on the sand issue. I have no idea what size the sand/silt is coming in, it feels super fine like silk. This well is acting just like the one before and it has been going now for afew years. The water coming from the faucets in the house are clear. You can not see any sand and it is clear, but after the kids take a bath a small to medium amount of sand is left. Oh, and thanks for doing what you do it must take alot of patience.

Speedbump

Reaction score
10 to 16 thousands of an inch opening (if that's what your trying to tell me) is large enough to let in quite a bit of sand if it's fine. The ten slot screen was probably the most popular slot size when I was drilling wells and we rarely used anything larger than a 12 slot (12 thousands) screen. Once the screen was in place, we would pump the well off with a plunger and bremer check to clear it before the rig was ever taken down. Then the pump was hooked up and ran off on the ground to bring it to crystal clarity before it was ever connected to the house.

bob...

mickeygil1

Reaction score
Well, I guess time and alot of filter changing (sand and sediment) will hopefully clear up this well like my dad's well. Is there a way to clear the pipe of any sand that is in the pipe now. The pump assembly in the hole can be removed fairly easy in a matter of minutes, good rope connected to the pump and only approx. 40' deep. Or, would it just be a waste of time, should I just be patient. And is there a way to use a plunger and bremer check now. I'll have to research and see what that is and how to use it.

thanks again

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you really want to clear it up (if it is going to) you need to disconnect the pump at the top of the well and turn it on. Let it go full blast until there is NO more sand.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks