New well, new pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jtbartlett

Reaction score
Hello, I am setting a pump soon and have a few questions. 500'well static is 261, 200psi poly drop pipe. 2 bath house, young family of 4, off grid house. My question is possibly irrelevant but here goes. I am looking at a goulds 7gs10 pump, it seems like good quality name brand pump. Now, I'd prefer to have a 3 wire Franklin motor instead of the centri pro that comes with the standard 7gs10. I would also prefer to have a cap start cap run control box but I do not believe Franklin offers such in a 1 hp motor rating. Centri pro does. I would switch to a 1.5 hp motor however a 600' run of #10 is limiting the motor size I can use. Should I even bother worrying about the motor and just use the centri pro? I know squat about well pumps and who makes the best. What kind of efficiencies are gained by using a cscr motor and controller over just a cap start? What I would like and what I can get are again, two different things but maybe someone here can shed some insight on the possibilities. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 7GS10 will produce 8 GPM from 260’ and 40 PSI. If the water level pulls down to 400’, you will only be getting 4 GPM at 40 PSI.

Franklin motors are now made in Mexico, and have been cheapened up so much in the last few years that I am not sure they are any better than others.

I also prefer three wire motors but, the cap run control box is only going to make it about 6% more efficient, the same as power factor correction usually does. This is not going to make much difference unless you use the well to feed a heat pump or lots of irrigation. For the small amount of water used by just a house, the 6% won’t even be noticeable.

Jtbartlett

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply valveman. I don't think I will worry about changing the motor. It seems the selection of pumps for 1 hp rating and depth are pretty limited. 8gpm is the best I could find in both the gould 7gs10 and a 7 gpm F&W Commander (franklin motor). The well is going to feed the house only so I may get by with 8gpm. Are there better choices in regards to pumps or are these the standards?

Jtbartlett

Reaction score
For off-grid why not go with the grundfos sq flex?

Cost, primarily. I can set 3 goulds pumps for the price of 1 grundfos. Or, just set 1 and use the savings to pay toward electricity. Actually, I just got a 'lightly used' goulds pump for 50 bucks so that's going down the hole first. We need 230v at the house anyways so another 230v load will not be a problem.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I've always been a Goulds dealer, and that's still what I primarily sell, but a local distributor started selling F&W, so I've tried a few....had great success....I've only bought the elite series, but check out the pump curves. Same flow series, same hp the F&W will hold up longer on the curve and pump way more water than the Goulds. They also have Franklin motors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks