New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)

Users who are viewing this thread

djt511

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently moved into a home that uses well water and had no water softener as it was removed by the previous owner. After having a water analyst done by ETR labs we decided to purchase the Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT water softener(48000 Grains.)

The problem:
The water is still hard! 4GPG Hard via Hach 5b Test Kit,

The majority of the iron seems to be removed, but I would like to considering the water condition if it should/could all be removed. When water is poured into a bottle and left sitting for a day there is no visible iron, and the water is clear.

The water softener was purchased from Ohiopurewater, and they have been helpful but have limited advise on the situation.

Fleck Settings

DF=Gal
VT=DF1B
CT=Fd
NT=1
C=30
H=53 (I have played with this number, problem is water hardness is instantly after REGEN)
RS=SF
SF=40
DO=5
RT=3:00
BW=10
BD=70
RR=10
BF=14 (I understand this is high)
FM=t0.7

Valve size is 3/4

BLFC is .5 Gal per minute

Thanks for the help in advanced,

Danny T

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would not recommend using a softener on this high of iron and manganese.

That being said, what does your Hach 5B say the hardness is prior to treatment?

DF=Gal
VT=DF1B
CT=Fd
NT=1
C=36
H=Hach 5 b + 20 + compensation of x1.3
RS=SF
SF=40
DO=5
BW=10
BD=70
RR=10
FM=t0.7

How many people in your house?

You should seriously consider investing in the proper equipment for your water condition.

Iron will foul your resin, you should be treating the resin with cleaner regularly and you need to regenerate with high salting. Neither of these solutions is a good idea compared to proper iron removal treatment.

djt511

Reaction score
I would not recommend using a softener on this high of iron and manganese.

That being said, what does your Hach 5B say the hardness is prior to treatment?

DF=Gal
VT=DF1B
CT=Fd
NT=1
C=36
H=Hach 5 b + 20 + compensation of x1.3
RS=SF
SF=40
DO=5
BW=10
BD=70
RR=10
FM=t0.7

How many people in your house?

You should seriously consider investing in the proper equipment for your water condition.

Iron will foul your resin, you should be treating the resin with cleaner regularly and you need to regenerate with high salting. Neither of these solutions is a good idea compared to proper iron removal treatment.

Hi Ditttohead,

I tried to test the water hardness before the softener before the softener and couldn't get it to turn blue, maybe i screwed up i will retry tonight.

This water softener was recommended to me by ohiopurewater, I would have purchased the right combination of equipment if that was recommended but it wasn't even the local sales person that came suggested a water softener and said it would remove the iron just without the need for a specific iron remover.

2 People in the house 1.5 bath ranch

I will get what ever is needed so that we are running as efficiently as possible. At this point the remaining hardness is effecting my dads eyes and I would like to get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

Danny

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Try mixing 3 parts distilled water with 1 part tested water and test that. That will make the hardness of the tested sample 25% of the real hardness. Dilution is required by the directions if your hardness is over 30, and it is a quick way to get a result with fewer drops even if your hardness is only 16 grains, for example. So after dilution, color change at 4 drops would be expected if your original sample was 16 grains.

2. If you want a more intense color, based on a recent thread you could use 2 spoons of the solid reagent. It is the drops that are critical to the value, not the solid.

3. Consider testing a sample of distilled water so that you know what color to expect. That should turn blue upon the first drop.

djt511

Reaction score
The hardness before the softener is at 50 gpg, would a Filox filter be an ideal solution for my water?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Filox is an amazing media but very difficult to use properly. It has a very high backwash rate requirement compared to modern iron reduction medias. Katalox light, Ferrilight, etc are all acceptable alternatives and are much easier to backwash.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks