New water softener advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Kelsey

Reaction score
Hi, I have a +20 year old softener that I believe has a Fleck valve on. Definitely a need to replace it!

Reading thru the posts there obviously so many choices and complexities especially to one unfamiliar with the lingo, specs, etc.

Here's the water quality report from where I live (Rochester, MN, hardness 17):
https://www.rpu.org/documents/2011_water_quality_report.pdf

3-4 person household, average water use/day. I'm looking to install myself.

I've looked online and with comments there and on this forum... I very much worry about not buying a 'good one'.. ie bad resin, plastic connector vs stainless, etc.

Can anyone please provide advice on size (eg 30,000, 48K, 60K, etc.), plus brand and/or a 'trusted' supplier I could order from over the internet (please PM me if posting this type of info here breaks forum rules).

THANK YOU in advance for any advice/help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably want 2.5 or 3 cubic ft of resin if you get a single tank system. This would probably be 13" x 54" 2.50 cu. ft. tank ( "80,000 grains" )
or 14 x 65 3 cu. ft. ("96000 grains") for comparisons.

You would set the softener up for fewer grains than the nominal, but get higher efficiency.

How big is your water piping?

Todd Kelsey

Reaction score
You probably want 2.5 or 3 cubic ft of resin if you get a single tank system. This would probably be 13" x 54" 2.50 cu. ft. tank ( "80,000 grains" )
or 14 x 65 3 cu. ft. ("96000 grains") for comparisons.

You would set the softener up for fewer grains than the nominal, but get higher efficiency.

How big is your water piping?

3/4 inch copper
water.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Measure the tank. You will see that your new one should be bigger.

If the water department says the average hardness is 17, figure about 22 I think.

Todd Kelsey

Reaction score
Hi, I also changed from 4-5 to 3-4 which I know changes recommendation... sorry for confusion but I think this is more accurate.

Reach4

Reaction score
Salt reservoir: 14x16x32, Softener: 44 tall (to valve), approx 7.5 diameter and approx 26 circumference
Sounds like 8" x 44" 0.75 cu. ft. ( "24,000 grains" ), and it would need to regenerate about every 3 days.

After re-thinking, a 12" x 52" 2.00 cu. ft. ( "64,0000 grains" ) cubic ft unit may be fine for you. With city water, bigger won't hurt. It will be slightly more efficient, but 2 cuft would be about right.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That system is easily repaired and could work for another 20 years but... I think you got your moneys worth out of it. Updating to a larger system is a good idea. Agreed, 12x52 or 13x54 system would be best the efficiency gains would be beneficial.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks