New water main = bathroom trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

bschafran

Reaction score
Hello - I just had a new sewer main installed to replace Orangeburg pipe. As part of the install, the contractor had to cut and install a new water main . All plumbing fixtures in the house (ranch with basement) are operating at full pressure except for the basement bath. To my best knowledge, the same lines feed a washer/dryer (OK) a rough-plumbed sink connection (no sink but OK pressure upon opening the valves) and exterior garden faucet (OK). In the bath, I have a dribble of water at the sink, shower, and toilet has no water. I have hot water but it dribbles at the same rate as the cold. My first thought was debris in the line, but both hot and cold? Prior to the repair these were all functional. This is probably the first time the sewer and water main have been touched in 30 years. I would appreciate any feedback from the readership. Thanks and have a great day.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like supply valves may be turned off. Have you checked.... I would also call back the contractor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What are your supply pipes made of? If they are galvanized, you might have a conversion to something newer in the future. Turning the water on and off, draining it can release all sorts of crud from the insides of the pipe. The tub/shower often have inlet particle screens that could be clogged up. On the vanity sink, take the aereator out and check it; it is probably clogged. Same with the showerhead. You could take the showerhead off and run things...if the flow is good, then you know it is inside of the head.

bschafran

Reaction score
Got it

Disconnected all fixtures in bathroom, found individual plugs in each one, ran water, all good. I guess this concentrated here since it's the low point of the house. Thanks to all. Saved me $ for sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks