New water heater rust at water connections

Users who are viewing this thread

Bookrat

Reaction score
I have a water heater that was just replaced the old water heater ended up leaking at the bottom. A new whirlpool electric water heater was installed. The new water heater came with per-installed dialectic nipples. The copper water lines were cut and a shark bite connection was screwed onto the dialectic using pipe dope and the pipe was pressed into the shark bite connection. It has only been two months and there is corrosion evident right at the connection of the shark bite connector to the dialectic nipple. There is more corrosion on the hot water side then on the cold. There is no evidence of any leaks and the previous water heater did not use a dialectic union. What would be causing this corrosion so fast? The house does have a water softener as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160825_225156.jpg
    20160825_225156.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 507
  • 20160825_225202.jpg
    20160825_225202.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the "brass" looking connector is "pot metal" imported from (?).
Replace the nipples and connectors. This time use copper connectors, the same connectors our grandparents used to use.

Tom098

Reaction score
As above suggests.
Why not replace the nipples with 4" brass nipples, and thread on adaptors and 18" of copper before transiting to plastic?
FWIW: The City of San Jose Ca. plumbing code requires 6" brass nipples to connect cu to galv during a re-pipe - dielectric fittings are not allowed.

Maybe just me but I think Water Softeners are responsible for a number of plumbing issues - & maybe health issues. Just saying.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass nipples are more expensive than dielectic nipples (which are installed by the mfgs on new water heaters). maybe that's why.
Sometimes I use brass nipples. I also replace plastic drain bibbs with brass.

BTW, anyone who still has galvanized pipes ought to re-pipe, the sooner, the better.

Water softeners? I never liked them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks