New water heater/PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

ndelaney

Reaction score
My house currently has a poor water heater(WH)/furnace set up. The current water heater is a short 30 gal. tank that is under the air handler in a small closet, far from ideal. The WH is failing so I am going to put a new one in an adjacent closet. I am a fairly hand DIYer who has replaced water heaters before, but I am moving locations and plan on using PEX so I want to make sure I am not missing any details.
I plan on using the stainless braided Sharkbite water heater connections on both hot and cold water sides, attaching PEX to those, securing PEX to wall of closet(drywall), running PEX through floor into crawlspace where I will tie it into existing PVC.
WH pressurerelief valve will be routed through floor and tied into exsisting discharge pipe outside.
WH will be in metal pan.
Does the PEX need to be 90 degrees on the turns or can it loop?
Am I missing anything? Any holes in this plan? Is it ok to secure the PEX pipe against the drywall in the closet?
I had 2 companies come out and bid simply replacing the current WH and they both wanted close to $2,000. So Im happy to do it myself..
Thanks in advance for any help.
I have attached a crappy drawing for clarification and your amusement.

WH.png

Reach4

Reaction score
There is a minimum bend radius for the various sizes, and they sell things called bend supports that will maintain the minimum for you.

If you are asking if you can loop more than 90 degrees, then yes. You still need to not go under the allowed the bend radius.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
PEX can bend, and so can the flex connectors.
I prefer the solid flex, either stainless or copper. I don't like the braided flex on water heaters.
I like the 24" connectors to give some distance between the PEX and the heater.
They also make 90's for PEX. Either way, it's going to work.
I'm sure you have CPVC and not PVC though. CPVC and PEX are copper sized for fittings.
PVC is an odd size and is only used for cold lines outside.

Last edited:

ndelaney

Reaction score
Got some electrical work to do as well, does Missouri require permits / inspections?

The old one is already wired in. I just have to disconnect old one, move the wire to the other side of the closet and connect it to the new one. No need to add any wire. No permits needed where I live.

ndelaney

Reaction score
PEX can bend, and so can the flex connectors.
I prefer the solid flex, either stainless or copper. I don't like the braided flex on water heaters.
I like the 24" connectors to give some distance between the PEX and the heater.
They also make 90's for PEX. Either way, it's going to work.
I'm sure you have CPVC and not PVC though. CPVC and PEX are copper sized for fittings.
PVC is an odd size and is only used for cold lines outside.

Thanks Terry.

Bacon

Reaction score
When you say Sharkbite, are you referring to the push on connectors, or the Sharkbite brand of crimp on PEX connectors?

Does your new heater come with heat trap fittings?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks