New Water Heater - Lower Water Pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

PIZ

Reaction score
We just had our gas water heater replaced. The water pressure with the old one was strong, but with the new one it seems it has alot less pressure. What would cause this, and how can I fix it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

It should not happen, but it also should not be anything with the water heater itself. The water valve may have broken, or it is not turned on all the way. IF it is neither of these problems, then it may be something that can only be diagnosed by a plumber at the house.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Heat trap nipples will reduce flow and if installed upside down can be real bad for flow, you may want the installer/ plumber to check. I generaly remove the heat trap on nipples unless the customer wants it.

JerrySprague

Reaction score
The heat trap nipples might be the cause of your pressure loss, but would like to mention the hidden dip tube in your tank, the dip tube delivers the cold water to the bottom of your tank, the older style of dip tube normally had an open end with no screen device. Several manufacturers now have dip tubes with a "bullet" shaped end plug that has a slit screen design. These easily clog with debris. I like to discard the tip of the dip tube, clean the tube and reinstall. Replacing the heat trap nipples and tweeking the dip tube will probably correct your problem. That is if there isn't a problem with the valve. Check the valve first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't think of this B4 but the plumber may have used a reduced flow ball valve if he replaced the old shutoff above the heater. That would definately reduce the flow.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What pressure?

Is it just the hot-water pressure, or both cold and hot that's reduced?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks