New Washing Machine

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Barneyn, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Barneyn

Barneyn New Member

I an installing a new front load washing washing and running the drain tube through the second floor instal location and out by normal means. The instructions tell me to instal a syphon break 29 inches from the drain tube.
    What is a syphon break and why do I want one.
  2. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

If the washing machine drain hose can not be looped higher than the water level in the tub, you'll need to install a syphon break. If you don't install one, the tub will never fill as water will be syphoned out as fast as it goes in.

-Sam
  3. Barneyn

Barneyn New Member

Thanks Sam. So if I buy a longer drain hose, loop it above the machine and still use the floor drain, all should be good if I read you correct. Same principle as a dish washer.