New Washing Machine Vent Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dennpad, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dennpad

dennpad New Member

I recently installed a new drain and supply lines for a washing machine (see attached). I tapped into the main waste/soil stack just before it exits the house through the wall. The 18" standpipe is two feet away from the stack. I added a vent to be used with an AAV. My question: do I need the vent? I would prefer not to use the AAV if it's not required. I thought I read somewhere if the appliance is within 5 feet of the main stack, a vent is not necessary.

Any and all help is much appreciated...

Attached Files:

2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The main stack is only considered to be a vent above the point of which the highest fixture drain is connected to it.
    The washing machine trap is required to have a vent.
  3. dennpad

dennpad New Member

Thanks for your reply, cacher_chick...
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The washer should have a 2" p-trap and standpipe.
    The vent can be 1.5"