New Washer - drain and vent

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by KSC, Sep 23, 2011.

1. KSC

KSC New Member

I'm installing a new washer and could use some advice on plumbing the drain. I've been going over the NC plumbing codes and these forums and *hope* I've come up with something proper, but I'm sure you experts will let me know. :)

plumbing.jpg

Sorry if it looks confusing, but I had to draw it in three dimensions to really show what's happening. The house is up on pilings, but there is a utility room below with an existing toilet. I would like to drain the washer to that drain line. The lines in blue represent what is already there; the lines in black are what I want to add.

Does this look ok? Anything else I need to explain?

Thanks!

Kenny
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

What you have drawn looks fine considering we don't know for sure what fittings you intend to use. Don't forget the cleanouts.
  3. KSC

KSC New Member

Thanks, good to know I'm going in the right direction. Where would I need to put cleanouts? As for the fittings, I'm afraid I don't really know the lingo to say. If anyone wants to tell me what's best or what they would use, I'm all ears. :) I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code

That is NOT what it says. That passage refers to where you can MAKE your connection to the existing system. If by "initial vertical size" you are referring to where you make the connection, you CANNOT increase to 3" if you start with 2", and you only need 2" anyway.
  5. KSC

KSC New Member

Well that's good news for me. I wasn't looking forward to the 3" pipe. Thanks!