New Vanity - Notch to fit waste pipe or open wall and raise waste pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

user847

Reaction score
I am nearing the end of a bathroom remodel, and just got my new double vanity in the bathroom. The new vanity is 4-6" higher than the old one, and the waste pipe for the two sinks are sitting pretty low in the new vanity. The only way to fit them would be to notch out the back of the vanity and into the drawer below. I know this is common practice, whether it's "correct" or not, but in my case there's a board running along the back of the vanity that would have to be cut out in order to notch it. This board is one of two boards running across the backside that appear to serve a structural purpose. I'd hate to cut them and compromise the structural integrity of the vanity. On the other hand, I really don't want to open up the wall at this point to raise the waste pipes either. What do you think... safe to notch through that board and into the drawer below?

22993-20170220-202318.jpg

23001-20170220-202449.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut that back board to allow the trap through. You can install a 1x4 full length of the vanity later, and screw it to the studs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

Looks like you will be cutting the cabinet.
Either that, or remove the wall and see if the drain can be raised there.
The vent for the p-trap needs to be above the trap arm. What you can't see here, is the vent in the wall that prevents the trap from siphoning.

user847

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up notching it yesterday, cutting it pretty much like Terry's picture. Came out OK and I didn't even have to notch the drawer below like I thought. Much better than opening up the wall!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks