new tub w pvc to old solid copper...how? with pictures.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by don m, Oct 17, 2012.

1. don m

don m New Member

Hello all, I've got a new tub sitting loose Plumbing 001.jpg Plumbing 002.jpg Plumbing 003.jpg where the 40 year old tub was. Problem is the drain flange and pipes are all hard pipes sweated in and the location of the flange is off about 3/8" to the hole in the tub. There are no threads in the pipes I believe except into the main stack pipe. 1. Should I take a torch and remove some of the hard pipe and run pvc from tub into a section of metal pipe? If so where? The wifey is mad this is not finished and i cant blame her :eek: Thx in advance. pictures are from the 1st floor under tub.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the tub waste and overflow drain don't mate up with the tub, and the solid piping below is preventing that, you could cut some back and use PVC to reconnect.
    They make a Mission coupling that goes from 1.5 copper sizing to 1.5" schedule 40.
  3. don m

don m New Member

Plumbing 004.jpg
    so cut pipe where i drew white line and use pvc above it and join the 2 with a mission coupling? thx very much. don m
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

From the picture I can't tell where you are short. So I'm leaving it up to your judgement on that.