New Toto MS854114EL installed, flapper is already leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

bikecolo74

Reaction score
Greeting,
We just remodeled our bathroom after 13 years. I replaced my toilet that had been working wonderfully for 13 years. NO PROBLEMS no parts replaced AT ALL so I know the water must be pretty chemical free? I replaced it with a Toto MS854114EL which is the 1.28 flush, tall model. I introduced water into the bowl and it shut off about 7/8 inch from the overflow I thought 'great' adjusted perfectly. Then I flushed it several times to check operation. Seemed to work great after only a slight screw adjustment for filling at the proper level. Then I noticed the water level dropping ever so slightly until after some time the water came back on to raise the water level back to the proper level. UGH....seems the brand new 'Red'/ 'pink' flapper is leaking....I pulled it off and noticed that there were couple raised mold marks on the water flush valve where the flapper seats? Could this be the problem with the seating or is that normal?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The molding marks could be the problem.
If you want to get a closer look, you can pull the flapper up, and there will be two screws in the opening. Loosen, but don't remove, pivot the tabs below and you can lift the flush valve out of the tank.

Check the inside of the tank for smoothness while you have the assembly out, and with the flush valve in the light, you should be able to see what's up!

toto_854_flush_valve.jpg

Last edited:

bikecolo74

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I talked to the Sales person this afternoon and he's going to call the Toto Rep Monday for me. Hopefully they can replace the part and examine the failure. I hope they
don't want me to replace it. I guess I could but man it's a new toliet and I think they should replace it. They first sold me the wrong toliet and I had to drive 40 miles to pick up the 'new one'.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would take me maybe two minutes to make sure everything is perfect with yours, using all of the parts you have.

In fact, it would take me less time then the explanation on the first post. It's that simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks