New Toto Drake 2-piece leaking between tank and bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Davebutch

Reaction score
I recently installed a new Toto Drake two-piece elongated toilet and followed the directions provided in a posting on this forum (excellent instructions, by the way). At first, there seemed to be a leak around the bolt that holds the tank to the bowl on the left side. After contacting Toto, they suggested I take the tank off, snug the bolts on the tank, fill the tank with water, and see where the leak was coming from. I did that and there were no leaks in 24 hours. I put the tank back on, and the leak is still there. It only occurs, though, when the toilet has been flushed, so I'm thinking there is a leak around the rubber gasket between the tank and bowl. The rubber gasket looks fine (it's brand new, after all), and it's not possible to see in that area once the tank is bolted to the bowl. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look at next?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jamie likes to snug the large nut that holds the flush valve onto the tank.
We have an extra large pair of pliers in the truck for that.

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

Davebutch

Reaction score
New Toto Drake 2-piece leaking between tank and bowl - Update

The leak is stopped. I tried a strap wrench on the big nut at the bottom of the tank, but wasn't able to get a grip on it. I think the big rubber gasket between the tank and bowl wasn't seated well. Once I seated it firmly on the tank and re-installed the tank, no more leaks.

Thanks for the guidance, Terry.

gobones

Reaction score
Thanks

I have been struggling to fix this problem for 2 weeks. Had the toilet apart 7 times thinking it was the brass bolts. Finally read this and tried tightening the drain nut. Viola! no leaks! Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks