new toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

neverfollow

Reaction score
I am looking for a new 1.28gpf toilet and after reading some threads, seem like most everyone here recommends TOTO. I was wondering other than
TOTO are there other brands that is recommended, perhaps kohler and which model? It seems "harder" to find TOTO as it isn't sold in home depot and lowe's.

Also, is eco drake 1.28gpf CST743E recommended?

tgrady

Reaction score
I think that's because it's a work horse first looks second. Though all the Totos I have are beautiful. Ultramax and two Drakes. I was tired of pretty toilets w/ little functionality. I am in construction and we strive for a low number of callbacks so quality/dependability in this case saves us money. I wish you the best!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kohler toilets are noted for frequent clogging. Few plumber on this forum care for them. American Standard have serious quality control issues. There run about 1 in 4 that require exchanging. They seem to work OK once a good one is installed, but they do not meet the performance of Toto. Many manufacturers sell builder grade toilets and toilets that have factory flaws to discount houses. Toto does not. Every Toto is expected to be first rate quality. Terry Love sells thousands of them and has less than 1% returns. Any plumbing shop or supply should be able to obtain any model you desire even if not one that was stocked. The Eco Drake is an excellent toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler is living on its name and how things look, not necessarily on how well they work or whether they are maintainable. They are definately one of those NIH (not invented here) places, where if they didn't invent it, it couldn't be any good even if the rest of the world finds it works just fine. As a result, you get some really weird stuff when you look beneath the pretty exterior. This means that Kohler is often the only place you can get repair parts since they tend to change things on a regular basis (my thought, if it aint broke, don't fix it; improve it, okay, but it has to be worth the change). If you look at a lot of the Kohler toilets, you'll see that the drain line makes a very sharp right-angle turn where it exits the toilet. This works okay on liquids, but is hell on 'normal' solids. They get decent ratings on the MAP test, partly because that uses plastic wrapped paste, which is a poor simulation of the real thing. I don't sell the things, but after installing a pair in my home, I bought more and did it in my mother's house. They work as advertised. The Toto dealer locator tends to only show the bigger places, but sometimes you'll get the best price from your local supply store that may either stock them, or will order them for you. It's worth the call around.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was talking to someone on Sunday that bought a Pegasus flapper-less for her home, and tried to return it to Home Depot. That didn't work.
She also has an American Standard Cadet 3 that she is disappointed with. She says the Cadet 3 is better then the Pegasus though. She was wishing she had done more research.

If you want home center quality, then the Cadet 3 may work for you.

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Several of us like the Cadet 3 - haven't been able to clog the sucker yet.
But as several others mentioned, quality control can be an issue - check the toilet before bringing it home.
Fourtanently, we got a good one the 1st time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's not just whether it clogs or doesn't clog. There are more factors that the rest of us expect to see on a quality product.

Take for instance the Caroma. Never clogs, so it should be top rated? The bowl is extra long so it takes up more space in a bathroom. The flush is louder then most and splashes water onto the seat, or on your bottom if you're sitting down.
The bowl is harder to keep clean. But it never plugs. How would you rate a bowl that sprinkles you with toilet water?
Remember, it never plugs.

Last edited:

chrisf8657

Reaction score
It's not just whether it clogs or doesn't clog. There are more factors that the rest of us expect to see on a quality product.

Take for instance the Caroma. Never clogs, so it should be top rated? The bowl is extra long so it takes up more space in a bathroom. The flush is louder then most and splashes water onto the seat, or on your bottom if you're sitting down.
The bowl is harder to keep clean. But it never plugs. How would you rate a bowl that sprinkles toilet water you your seat?
Remember, it never plugs.

Terry, your right. I have had occasional problems with the Cadet 3 having a splash upwards onto the seat too...dunno how many have this problem - like I said it's occasional based on factors I can't explain. But the Caroma is also a washdown toilet, different than a siphon toilet...I don't think it's a fair comparison. As for keeping it clean, Toto has the CEFIONTECT, and AS has the EverClean...

AFAIK, a elongated toilet has better flush power than a round bowl, IIRC, several people, even you, have said the same. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't even know what your last comment means.

"AFAIK, a elongated toilet has better flush power than a round bowl"

That's not a true statement. It doesn't make a bit of difference if the top of the bowl extends out a little more. The siphon and trapway are the same.

I have customers that try the Cadet 3, and then go back to the Drake.
When you have tried and used both of them, then you will see a difference. Right now you don't, its not in your life experience.

If you eat at McDonald's all the time, it seems pretty good. I get it. I like the French fries too.
Sometimes for dinner I like steak or Salmon. And so do a lot of others.
If you don't have the money, that's fine. The Drake was never intended as a cheap home center toilet.
And that's why I do have some recommendations for cheap home center toilets. But I will never say they are the best. That would be ridiculous.

JJ9

Reaction score
I have had a Caroma Sydney 305 (fits just like a regular "US-style" bowl over the flange, secured with standard bolts) with a Bondi dual-flush tank for over a year. It is completely impossible to clog - unlike every Kohler model I have ever met. It's true that for someone used to toilets with large waterspots it might be hard to get used to because yes, it splashes. Apart from fantastic flushing performance, it's cheaper than the Toto models. The downsides? It's deeper front to back than other designs, so be sure you have the room to install it. The flushtower mechanism in the tank is more sophisticated than the usual flapper and you won't be able to find parts at the hardware store. The last disadvantage is cosmetic: the glaze is definitely not as smooth as Toto's, and the bottom of the bowl tends to collect any sediment and mineral film deposited by the flush water from the tank. I find it needs Kaboom and vigorous brushing, otherwise your guests will think you have terrible housekeeping standards. I have no regrets at all about my choice, but when I do a full bath reno I will only pick a Caroma again if there is an uprated glaze option. The scrubbing is tiring!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Caroma is a great toilet for those unfortunate folks, maybe 1% of the population, who have bowel issues and pass very large and hard logs. Regular toilets simply can't handle them, but the Caroma can. Down size is of course the noise and splash, but they just flat will not clog. There is a video (U-Tube?) that demos the Caroma actually flushing large whole potatoes! It's amazing, and a God send for those the 1%.

Curtis12345

Reaction score
Ariel Platinum

One of the best gravity flush toilets that I've seen in recent years is the Ariel Platinum " The Hermes" Dual Flush Toilet. This toilet runs about $400 dollars....We've installed a number of these pricey toilets for our high end customers. http://www.1000aoksplumbing.com Other qualities of the toilet include its high quality durable porcelain exterior, and its flushing volume of 1.6/0.8 GPF (Dual Flush).The elongated bowl and the soft close, non-slamming seat upgrade, make it a toilet that differs greatly from the others.

agruenke

Reaction score
Yes Curtis the Ariel platinum toilets or Fresca brand as many people know them are excellent toilets. The actual manufacturer is EAGO. It is a European company. Many distributors just use there own name on them like Ariel and Fresca (they are made in China like Everyone else including Kohler and Toto) but a very good toilet.

They are all one piece design and the trapway is fully glazed. They use very little water but the flow on them is amazing. The Dual flush models are Water sense Certified so you will get a local municipal rebate if you are changing out some old toilets.

You can find out more info on them at http://perfectbath.com/toilets/ or http://beautysaunasandbaths.com

Parts for these toilets are readily available from http://www.eagocanada.ca we ship parts around the world.

If anyone needs any info on these EAGO (Ariel or Fresca) toilets let me know I am happy to supply you any info you need. I am the Canadian Distributor for EAGO bathroom Products.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the comment that Toto is (only?) built in China is totally wrong....they have factories all over the world, including a large on in Georgia, USA, where many, but not all of their toilets are made for US consumption (they may export from there as well, I don't know). They may have a factory in China, I have not looked, but it is by no means their only source!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks