New toilets draining mysteriously

Users who are viewing this thread

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I could definitely see that having some kind of inadvertent interaction with the toilet and causing a slow siphonic action. Your choices would be to have that repiped to eliminate the trap. Or find a very old, period correct to the plumbing, trapless toilet bowl.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to remove that trap. Not only is it an S-trap, it will affect the overall flushing ability of the toilet, especially a modern one with low-flow, and siphon things, as you've found. It will allow the toilet to fill with water on the outlet side of the weir for a bit, and siphon water out of the toilet. The jet that starts the siphon in the new toilet may not have enough velocity and duration to give a very high evacuation capability of the toilet, but once it starts, if it starts, it should work as the volume in the lower trap will help pull things out. Modern toilets mostly function very quickly...does yours seem more like an older one that relies on the bowl filling up before it starts to flush? That would be my guess.

jjfad

Reaction score
Modern toilets mostly function very quickly...does yours seem more like an older one that relies on the bowl filling up before it starts to flush? That would be my guess.

We have the same model toilet installed upstairs and it works great and flushes very fast. The one with the issues lags in comparison. Seems to me that the S trap is the cause of our problems. I don't know what else it would be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The siphon jet in a modern toilet is the pulse of water that starts the flush process. It can only work when shooting into air space...not a fluid filled trap beneath it. It sounds like yours is working more like an older one that required the level in the bowl to get high enough to then rush out of the outlet, starting the siphon.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the last two weeks or so...the site sometimes does a double post...only moderators can easily delete a post.
If it were the site, there would be a more scattered distribution, IMO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks