New Toilet Overhangs Existing Platform

Users who are viewing this thread

boomer70

Reaction score
We're replacing our toilet (as part of a bathroom remodel), and there is a rectangular marble platform that sits on the floor, under the toilet. The platofrm is underneath the closet flange, so we can't remove it. The original toilet fit inside the perimeter of the platform, but the new one overhangs it slightly. Because of this, we can't seal off around the perimeter of the new toilet to the platform. Is this an issue? If so, is there a simple solution to address this? Thanks for your help.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
grinder to fit

should i understand that the new toilet is too big or different shape to fit inside an "insert" space? IF so, then anyone handy with a grinder can cut the marble to fit your new toilet. Makes marble dust.

david

boomer70

Reaction score
Thanks, geniescience . Yes, the shape of the new toilet at its bottom is too big to fit inside the marble insert. The toilet therefore overhangs it. However, if we cut the marble, then the toilet will overhang the insert even more. We would need to add material to the marble, not take it away.

But even if it overhangs, is this a functional issue?

Thanks again for your help. A forum like this makes life so much easier.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it just overhangs a little, I would fill the space with the right size piece of plywood or even some foam backer rod and then caulk around the base of the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks