New Toilet installation - Does this mean the bowl is cracked

Users who are viewing this thread

Iceyone2

Reaction score
I just installed a new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet.

Main problem is that the water in the bowl continuously (and slowly) drops. After about 9 hours, the bowl had emptied to the point of almost letting air in (if I described that right...). I could see the water level dropping last night as well (an inch or two in a couple of hours).

While the level was dropping (such as overnight) no other water was being used in the house (i.e. nothing was going down other drains).

I did have an issue with the flange being below the floor level and used plastic flange extensions to build it up to about 1/4" above floor level. I will describe this in a second, but my understanding is that this could not lead to water level in the bowl dropping on its own (irrepective of whether I did something wrong with the extension).

On the flange extension, I followed instructions and cleaned off the existing flange as well as possible, applied a bead of caulk/sealant and then placed two 1/4" extensions on top (with no sealant between the two extensions, just sealant between the flange and the first extension). The flange extensions are not bolted together to the flange, but rather it is just the weight of the toilet and the bolts holding the toilet down to the floor that compress the extensions together. I then installed the toilet using a wax ring (with plastic insert) and tightened everything. Once tightened down, there was no rocking or movement of the toilet at all.

There was no sign of water leaking on the floor from the bottom except that when I slipped a paper towel between the floor and the bottom of the toilet (the opening in spots is just big enough to fit a paper towel under), the paper towel was wicking water up (and the entire paper towel would be wet in a few minutes). When I first installed the toilet, I was flushing it many times, but this did not seem to increase the amount of water under the toilet (and I mean under the toilet as no water was running out on the tile near the base of the toilet).

My main question is am I right that with the water level dropping in the bowl like this, it must be a crack in the toilet somewhere? I am not a plumber by any stretch (and not a plumber's assistant...or a plumber's assistant's assistant...:)) so I recognize I could have made some mistakes in installing, but am I right that even if the wax ring seal was messed up or the flange entensions were not done right, that neither of these could lead to the water level in the bowl dropping like this?

Thanks for any help. I am preparing to take the bowl back to Home Depot to get a replacement but wanted to check here first to see if my conclusion was right.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would have caulked between the flanges with pure silicone and allowed it to dry B 4 setting the toilet.

The better thing to do would have been to replace the flange and install it at the right height or get a new extended repair flange.

The flange extensions have nothing to do with the water level dropping.

Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water in the toilet bowl 4-5 times in a row. If the water goes down fine then I would suspect you have a defective toilet.

If the water backs up in the toilet you may have a stoppage that drains slowly, this may have caused your vent to clog and that would cause your trap to siphon out.

The 2 culprits that cause toilet trap water to drain out would be a defective toilet or a clogged vent.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
By all means take it back.There is aproblem with it.
I dont care for cadets but thats just my opinion.
Check out a toto.Check more on this site.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

From your descsription it does appear to be a defective bowl. That is not uncommon with toilets from the Big Box stores. With their's you are the final inspector and have to disassemble it and return it in exchange for getting a good price when you get a defective item.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks