NEW TOILET DRAINS COMPLETELY AFTER FLUSHING

Users who are viewing this thread

MsTLC

Reaction score
I live in a 4plex in the upstairs unit. I recently had a brand new American Standard Champion 4 toilet installed by a plumber. After flushing, the bowl fills with water and then slowly drains away. I've read everywhere there may be a clog somewhere. The tenant directly downstairs from me complained of the very same problem eventho their toilet was not new. I called my regular plumber, he pulled the toilet and there was a root coming up through a crack in the foundation that grew down through the wax ring and completely filled up the drain hole. The plumber cleared the root and reinstalled the toilet and I was hoping the clog downstairs was the answer to my problem upstairs. Not. Before the new toilet was installed, I had no drainage problems. Do you think there is a defect in the toilet? Do you think the vent on the roof needs to be cleared out? I'm tired of doing a preflush to fill up the bowl with water, and then flushing for the real deal. As long as there's water in the bowl, the toilet flushes just fine. Oh, I hear no leaks, and see no water on the floor. This is really a puzzle and it's making me nuts!!

Reach4

Reaction score
How far does the water in the bowl fall? Down to the top of the exit hole, or lower still?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Sounds like it isn't starting with water in the bowl. Do what Smooky says, and then check and make sure that the refill water is actually going down the tube to refill the bowl following the flush.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
2005-1-14_Toilet_Bowl_crosssection_w550.jpg

So, if you have a full bowl of water and you leave it alone for a couple of hours it will empty by itself?
If yes, it would have to be an internal defect (crack?) in the toilets weir - wouldn't it. There is no suction on the discharge side of the weir.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks