New toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Carnaby

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just found this wonderful site, and now I'm hoping I can find someone who can help.

I'm renovating my bathroom and I'm looking at the existing drain for my toilet and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to change it. I'll do my best to describe it.

The main 3" stack is on the north wall. Out of that stack comes 3" heading south with a Long 90 changing the direction to west. That connects to a 3" Drain Tee, which the toilet was connected straight down into the top of. The last side of the Tee has a bushing in it to 1 1/2" and that continues on to the sink. Now I'm new in the house, and this bathroom was so darn ugly that I started renovating it right away, without ever seeing if the toilet had any problems with backing up.

What I was considering doing was cutting the 3" pipe just south of the main stack and putting in a Y and connecting the 1 1/2" to the angled piece, and connecting a 3" Long 90 to the southern hole on the Y changing the direction to west, then using another Long 90 towards the floor to connect the toilet. Going by rough measurements I'd have to use an offset flange to have it 12" from the wall....

My question is, does this sound like something I should do, or should I just leave the Tee in place with the toilet and sink connecting to it?

*edited* Sorry, it was late last night when I typed this up. I mentioned a Wye instead of a second long 90.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

What you have is not proper and would never have passed an inspection. I cannot really follow what you plan to do, so cannot be sure if it would work or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks