New Toilet Does Not Completely Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYPlumber1

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Installed a new toilet onto new sewer line. When I go to flush it the water only swirls a little and the bowl does not emply completely. I tried adjusting the fill rate of the tank but no difference. Bad toilet or clog?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hard to say since both are new.

You can pull the toilet and set it on blocks in the yard, try flushing it there.

If the line is new, is there a test plug in the line, or test cookie?

Did you put the wax on the bowl? or set it on the flange during the installation. Sometimes the wax can fall and drop in the wrong place.
Most plumbers set the wax on the flange, and drop the bowl down onto it.

DIYPlumber1

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
There is no test plug in the line. This was a tie in to the original main line and test was done in the main line. Toilets connected to the old main line work fine.

I put the wax ring on the bottom of the toilet before installation. I pressed it on good to keep it in place but you never know.

I may have to try the toilet out in the yard to see if I have a toilet or a line issue. That may have to wait until the weekend though.

Thanks for the ideas.

DIYPlumber1

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Looked at the toilet last night when it flushed and water only came out one side under the rim. Could this be the problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the toilet and design, maybe. Hard to say, but if it has a rim wash, it usually comes from multiple places and not just one side. How much water actually gets dumped? If it isn't over the minimum, you don't get enough head to get a good flush.

Fidodie

Reaction score
Put two gallons of water in a pail and dump it into the toilet. If it empties like a regular flush it may be a supply problem (speed, amount, possible toilet off-level) -

if it doesn't flush, it is drain/vent issue, or possible toilet issue - on the toilet issue thing, i've purchased inexpensive toilets that were mis-cast - hence a built in clog - not to mention things like packing foam (or a coffee cup) getting in there....

may eliminate the need to remove the toilet if it flushes....gl

$.02

Pat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks