New toilet and sink connection with Air Admittance Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

soultraveler

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in British Columbia, Canada
i am planning to make a bathroom in my second floor bedroom.
The main stack is pretty far away from my bedroom. So, i do not want to break the floor, wall, and studs to connect my solid line to the main stack.

1. so, i am wondering is it possible to connect my toilet and sink to the main stack from the outside?

2. for the venting problem, i am planning to attach an Air Admittance Valve(AAV) on the top of the outside solid line. The AAV i am getting is an abs 2" X 1-1/2" thread-on adapter. 20 DFU' http://www.homedepot.ca/product/abs-air-admittance-valve-with-threaded-adaptor/968663

The reference from this site states that 1 bathroom and 1 sink has around 9 DFU. In my case, a 20DFU AAV would be good enough right?
http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/public-utilities/rates-fees-charges/Pages/drainage-fixture-units.aspx

3. Do i need another dry venting? If so, can i just add another AAV under the sink ?

plumbing1.jpg

Any help would be nice
Thank you

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, .....in fact HELL no. The condensation will freeze and block the vent and the AAV. You can't run waste or vent pipes on the outside of buildings in northern climates.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Besides not being able to do it in the first place,
2. your AAV would NOT vent the sink, and
3. A 1 1/2" AAV, regardless of its fixture units would not be appropriate for a toilet
4. Even if you could access the main stack on the second floor, you could not connect your toilet line to it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
4) If what you call a Main Stack is really a vent for the downstairs, then hj is right. That Main Vent is off limits.
You would need to bring the 2nd floor plumbing in below the downstairs plumbing. A vent from the first floor can only be a vent.

2) Yes, you can add an AAV for the lav (sink)
It goes above the trap arm, not below.

soultraveler

Reaction score
plumbing2.jpg

Hi Terry
1. would there be a problem if i add two 90 degree bends under the sink before the p trap?

2. are there any distance problems for the toilet connection?

Thank you
Philip

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, if you use a proper sized AAV at the lavatory, you would NOT need one on top of the drain stack. You can offset between the sink and the trap, although it usually makes a poor drain.

soultraveler

Reaction score
Hi hj
thank you for your reply
sorry, but what do mean by "offset between the sink and the trap"

so, are you saying two aav is better than one?

Thank you

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
you cannot add an AAV "under the sink" and comply with Canadian code... the AAV must be above flood level rim and accessible - and not in an attic or unconditioned space with exposure to freezing conditions

Ontario code differs from the National code in this respect. You can have it below the FLR.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks