new to wells---do I need a deepwater pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by trd, Mar 19, 2012.

1. trd

trd New Member

I have not ever sunk a well before, but I am planning to in the next few weeks. Some of my neighbors have wells in between 35-45 feet. Most of the shallow pumps recommend 25 ft max, but the difference in price is about 100$. I am only planning on using this pump for my lawn, therefore I don't expect that it will have excessive use. Will I be ok to just go with the shallow pump....or am I going to end up with a broken pump

Also do you have brand and/or model that you recommend (that has a reasonable price...which to me is 175-225)
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It's not about how deep the well is. It's about how far down the water is. My father had a 120 foot deep well but used a shallow well pump.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah no matter how deep the well is, if the water level stays above 24' you can use a shallow well jet pump. But I think a decent pump like a J7S will cost you 300-400 bucks.
  4. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

You haven't bought one in a few years have you?

5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately for those of us who make a living in the pump business, I found them on the Internet for that price. :( So much for protecting dealers anymore.