New three way switch and cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

1) Can I use a plastic box for the switch?

2) Can I use NM 14/3 cable for this?

3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 433

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?

Thanks!

1. Yes
2. Depends on the size of the breaker or fuse feeding this. If it is 15amps, then yes. If it's 20amp, then you need 12/3.
3. You can get a clip or screw to tie the ground wire to the metal box, unless there is already ground wires present there. If so, you tie the ground to them. At the switch, just tie the bare wire to the green screw.
4. Yes.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score

Depends on where you are. Local codes might require BX (the armoured cable in your pic).

yes.

Thanks!

Yes. And make sure the white is the constant, the black switched.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks