New three way switch and cable

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by nelsonba, Dec 6, 2007.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba Member

I need to relocate a three way switch. Here is a picture of the existing box I plan to tie into.

1) Can I use a plastic box for the switch?

2) Can I use NM 14/3 cable for this?

3) If I use the NM 14/3 cable, what do I do with the ground? Do I ground the wire at the existing metal box to the box and ground the other side to the switch ground screw?

4) This switch is at the end of the run. Do I code the white wire with black tape?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

1. Yes
    2. Depends on the size of the breaker or fuse feeding this. If it is 15amps, then yes. If it's 20amp, then you need 12/3.
    3. You can get a clip or screw to tie the ground wire to the metal box, unless there is already ground wires present there. If so, you tie the ground to them. At the switch, just tie the bare wire to the green screw.
    4. Yes.
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Depends on where you are. Local codes might require BX (the armoured cable in your pic).

yes.

Yes. And make sure the white is the constant, the black switched.